[Economics] Zero bond obligation

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the rates for different obligations that have varying conditions and payment profiles. The first obligation has a zero coupon rate and is a serial loan, which raises the question of whether it should be treated as a zero-coupon bond or calculated like the other obligations. The speaker has successfully calculated the rates for obligations 2 and 3, but is unsure about obligation 1. They are seeking further information or clarification on how to proceed with calculating the rate for obligation 1.
anonymousk
This assignment is translated from another language, so some words be not be completely correct

Homework Statement

(Annual market rate might be yield to maturity?)
Face value = 1000

Obligation----Condition----Payment profile----Maturity------Annual Coupon Rate-----Annual market rate
------1--------------A-----------Serial loan--------5 years---------------0%---------------------------6%
------1--------------B-----------Serial loan--------5 years---------------0%---------------------------14%------2--------------A-----------Serial loan--------5 years---------------10%--------------------------6%
------2--------------B-----------Serial loan--------5 years---------------10%--------------------------14%------3--------------A-----------Serial loan-------10 years---------------10%--------------------------6%
------3--------------B-----------Serial loan-------10 years---------------10%--------------------------14%I have to calculate the rate/exchange rate for all the obligations, and I think I've got it right for obligation 2 and 3.

I got obligations to:
2A: 1105,02
2B: 910,46
3A: 1175,99
3B: 863,31

Do I do the same for obligation 1? It says the coupon rate is zero, might it be a zero-coupon bond then?? It also says serial loan, and I thought zero-coupon bonds were standing/bullet loans only.

Since it says serial loan, do I calculate obligation 1 like i did with 2 and 3, or do i treat it as a zero coupon bond?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is a zero bond obligation?

A zero bond obligation, also known as a zero coupon bond, is a type of bond that does not make periodic interest payments. Instead, it is sold at a discounted price and the investor receives the full face value of the bond at maturity.

2. How does a zero bond obligation work?

When an investor purchases a zero bond obligation, they pay a price below the bond's face value. As the bond approaches maturity, the value of the bond increases until it reaches its full face value at maturity. The investor then receives the full face value of the bond, earning a profit on their initial investment.

3. What are the benefits of investing in zero bond obligations?

One of the main benefits of investing in zero bond obligations is the potential for a higher return compared to traditional bonds. Since there are no periodic interest payments, the investor can reinvest their money at a higher rate, potentially earning a higher return. Additionally, zero bond obligations are generally considered to be low-risk investments.

4. What are the risks associated with investing in zero bond obligations?

The main risk associated with investing in zero bond obligations is interest rate risk. If interest rates rise, the value of the bond may decrease, and the investor may not receive the expected return. There is also credit risk, as the issuer of the bond may default on their payments. However, since zero bond obligations are typically issued by governments or highly rated companies, the credit risk is generally low.

5. How are zero bond obligations taxed?

Zero bond obligations are taxed in the same way as traditional bonds. The investor must pay taxes on the imputed interest, which is the difference between the discounted purchase price and the full face value received at maturity. This imputed interest is taxed as ordinary income, not at the lower capital gains rate.