Eddy Current in a rotationg disk

In summary, studying eddy currents in a rotating disk allows for a better understanding of electromagnetic induction in rotating systems. Eddy currents can create drag and resistance, slowing down the rotation of the disk, but can be controlled or reduced through material selection and shaping. The strength of eddy currents is influenced by factors such as rotation speed, magnetic field strength, and conductivity of the disk material. Eddy currents are utilized in brakes, generators, and induction heating for practical applications in various industries.
Delzac

Homework Statement

As given in the picture.

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is what i have done.

I calculated:

[tex] \frac{d\phi}{dt} = B \pi b^2 *\frac{\omega}{2\pi} = e.m.f.[/tex]

[tex] R = \frac{\rho a}{at} [/tex]

Thus, [tex] I = emf/R = \frac{ar \omega t}{\rho} [/tex]

Sub in I into F = BIL taking L as a.

But i have a feeling that this is wrong, cause the working is too simple.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• PC1143 - Q4.jpg
    PC1143 - Q4.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be great.

What is the purpose of studying eddy currents in a rotating disk?

The purpose of studying eddy currents in a rotating disk is to better understand the effects of electromagnetic induction in a rotating system. This knowledge can be applied in various industries, such as power generation and transportation, to improve efficiency and performance.

How do eddy currents affect the rotation of a disk?

Eddy currents in a rotating disk can create drag or resistance, which can slow down the rotation of the disk. This is because the magnetic fields generated by the eddy currents oppose the original magnetic field that caused them.

Can eddy currents be controlled or reduced in a rotating disk?

Yes, eddy currents can be controlled or reduced by using materials with high electrical conductivity, such as copper or aluminum, for the rotating disk. Additionally, shaping the disk in a specific way, such as using laminated layers, can also reduce eddy currents.

What factors affect the strength of eddy currents in a rotating disk?

The strength of eddy currents in a rotating disk is affected by the speed of rotation, the magnetic field strength, the electrical conductivity of the disk material, and the thickness and shape of the disk. Higher rotation speeds, stronger magnetic fields, and more conductive materials can all increase the strength of eddy currents.

How are eddy currents used in practical applications?

Eddy currents are used in practical applications such as brakes, generators, and induction heating. In brakes, eddy currents are created to slow down and stop the rotation of a disk. In generators, eddy currents are harnessed to generate electricity. In induction heating, eddy currents are used to heat up a metal object for various industrial processes.