1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EE Grad School

1. Jun 20, 2007 #1
    Im currently working on my BS in EE. After I graduate, I would like to enter the field and see what it's like, then go for my masters. So, a few questions:

1) If I decide that I do want to get my masters, would it be feasible to get a MS in Aerospace Eng, with an EE background?

2) Let's say I graduate with a 3.3 GPA overall, but a higher EE GPA with many e-board positions in the organizations im involved in, then get a job -- will I have a better chance with some years of experience in the field when applying to a Masters school?

3) Have any of you done (2)? Any Advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

One other option that you might consider is that many of the larger companies have a tuition reimbursement program to help you get your MSEE while you work full time for them. You take 1-2 classes per term at a nearby university (often you can take some of the classes via TV or Internet from your work too), and your company pays for it. It stretches out how long it takes to get your MSEE, of course, but it is free for you, and often you are able to get into a university that you would not have been able to get into (or afford) without the sponsorship of the company.

For example, HP has a strong relationship with Stanford here in Silicon Valley. And HP has put many, many of its employees through the Stanford MSEE program. Check out your prospective employers' websites, and look for tuition reimbursement under the employee benefits page.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="tuition+reimbursement"

4. Jun 30, 2007 #3
    Ok, thanks.

I've been hearing about two differnt route when getting a MS.

1) Thesis option? -- May take 2 - 2.5 years?

2) Non-thesis option? -- This is where it might take 1 - 1.5 years to get the MSEE, just by taking courses. No paper writing involved, only courses.

Am I right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?