Pursuing a Masters in Aerospace Eng with an EE Background?

In summary, if you have a high EE GPA and are involved in e-board positions, you may have a better chance of getting into a Masters program with some years of experience.
DefaultName
Im currently working on my BS in EE. After I graduate, I would like to enter the field and see what it's like, then go for my masters. So, a few questions:

1) If I decide that I do want to get my masters, would it be feasible to get a MS in Aerospace Eng, with an EE background?

2) Let's say I graduate with a 3.3 GPA overall, but a higher EE GPA with many e-board positions in the organizations I am involved in, then get a job -- will I have a better chance with some years of experience in the field when applying to a Masters school?

3) Have any of you done (2)? Any Advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
One other option that you might consider is that many of the larger companies have a tuition reimbursement program to help you get your MSEE while you work full time for them. You take 1-2 classes per term at a nearby university (often you can take some of the classes via TV or Internet from your work too), and your company pays for it. It stretches out how long it takes to get your MSEE, of course, but it is free for you, and often you are able to get into a university that you would not have been able to get into (or afford) without the sponsorship of the company.

For example, HP has a strong relationship with Stanford here in Silicon Valley. And HP has put many, many of its employees through the Stanford MSEE program. Check out your prospective employers' websites, and look for tuition reimbursement under the employee benefits page.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="tuition+reimbursement"

Ok, thanks.

I've been hearing about two differnt route when getting a MS.

1) Thesis option? -- May take 2 - 2.5 years?

2) Non-thesis option? -- This is where it might take 1 - 1.5 years to get the MSEE, just by taking courses. No paper writing involved, only courses.

Am I right?

1. What is the difference between Aerospace Engineering and Electrical Engineering?

While both fields involve the application of scientific and mathematical principles, Aerospace Engineering focuses on the design, development, and testing of aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems, while Electrical Engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism in various industries.

2. Can someone with an Electrical Engineering background pursue a Masters in Aerospace Engineering?

Yes, it is possible for someone with an Electrical Engineering background to pursue a Masters in Aerospace Engineering. However, it may require taking additional courses to gain a deeper understanding of aerospace engineering concepts and principles.

3. What are the career opportunities for someone with a Masters in Aerospace Engineering and an EE background?

Some career opportunities for individuals with a Masters in Aerospace Engineering and an EE background include working in the aerospace industry, defense industry, and research and development. They can also pursue roles such as systems engineer, aerospace engineer, avionics engineer, and more.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics and physics to pursue a Masters in Aerospace Engineering?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics and physics is necessary to pursue a Masters in Aerospace Engineering. These subjects are the foundation of the field and are essential for understanding and applying engineering principles in aircraft and spacecraft design.

5. Are there any specific skills or qualifications that are required for a Masters in Aerospace Engineering with an EE background?

Apart from a solid foundation in mathematics and physics, a background in electrical engineering can be beneficial for a Masters in Aerospace Engineering. Knowledge of programming languages, circuit design, and control systems can also be helpful in this field. Additionally, strong analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills are crucial for success in this program.