EE & Math/Physics - Is Electrical Engineering the Best Option?

In summary: Thank you for posting them.In summary, the author is undecided about what type of engineer they want to be and is looking for advice. They are very advanced in math and physics and are considering going to college for math, but they see little future in that field. They are interested in electrical engineering because it is a close substitute for math and physics-based engineering specialties. Electrical engineering is the most math/physics based of the engineering specialties.
lax1113
Hello,
I am going to be going into college in a year, and I am definately interested in becoming an engineer. I am not sure though, what type. I do not actually know a lot about what electric engineers do, and am interested in learning more. I tried to look on the forums about them, but most of the posts were about problems and topics of electrical engineering, that i didn't understand at this point. I would like to point out that I am very advanced in math and physics, and to be honest really enjoy both of them studies. I was considering going to college for math, but see little future in that. I am a firm believer of doing what you love over doing what makes more money, but in the end of the day, one's job must pay for bills, and be able to provide for a family and so on. I am not sure what type of careers there are in math, so I see engineer being a close substitue. So, with that being said, is electrical engineering the most math/physics based of the engineering specialties?

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
lax1113 said:
Hello,
I am going to be going into college in a year, and I am definately interested in becoming an engineer. I am not sure though, what type. I do not actually know a lot about what electric engineers do, and am interested in learning more. I tried to look on the forums about them, but most of the posts were about problems and topics of electrical engineering, that i didn't understand at this point. I would like to point out that I am very advanced in math and physics, and to be honest really enjoy both of them studies. I was considering going to college for math, but see little future in that. I am a firm believer of doing what you love over doing what makes more money, but in the end of the day, one's job must pay for bills, and be able to provide for a family and so on. I am not sure what type of careers there are in math, so I see engineer being a close substitue. So, with that being said, is electrical engineering the most math/physics based of the engineering specialties?

dunno if it's the most math/physics based. civil engineering has classical mechanics, but there is some elegant math regarding structures like bridge trusses and the like. mechanical engineering also has classical mechanics with statistical mechanics (like thermodynamics which is mathy) tossed in. unless you get into material science, not much modern physics (like the physics of atoms and smaller particles or quantum mechanics or relativity). chemical engineering has chemistry and that has "pchem" which can be pretty sophisticated.

EE can take you to semiconductor physics, which is heavy on the math and in modern physics. other EE disciplines get mathy (like communications, control theory, or analog or digital signal processing).

you can do some nice and elegant applied math in electrical engineering, but what it really is about is designing electrical or electronic systems that really work and accomplish some desired task.

Thanks,
FWIW

Last edited:
Welcome to the PF, lax1113. Yes, EE is a great match for folks with talent in math and physics, and offers a good stable source of income. There are also many different specialties in EE, which makes it relatively easy to find areas that you enjoy working in. There is also a lot of overlap between different specialties, which adds variety to your work. Like, it's not unusual for a chip developer to also write a fair amount of software, in support of their chip design and validation tasks. And it's not unusual for a network transceiver hardware developer to also write some MatLAB or other simulation code as part of their transceiver optimization work.

I did some searching and dug up some threads that touch on topics that may help you in your decision making. They don't directly answer your questions, but they do discuss related topics. Good luck!

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=152361

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=118579

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=169675

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=126112

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=149974

Those are very handy, berkeman.

Related to EE & Math/Physics - Is Electrical Engineering the Best Option?

1. What is Electrical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering (EE) is a branch of engineering that deals with the study, design, and application of electrical systems, devices, and equipment. It involves the use of mathematics and physics principles to understand and manipulate electric and magnetic fields for various purposes.

2. Why should I consider studying Electrical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering is a highly versatile and in-demand field that offers excellent career opportunities. It allows you to work in diverse industries such as electronics, telecommunications, power generation, and renewable energy. Additionally, EE graduates are typically well-compensated and have the potential for career advancement.

3. What are the essential skills needed for a career in Electrical Engineering?

To succeed in Electrical Engineering, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. In addition, you should possess critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong aptitude for technology. Good communication and teamwork skills are also essential for working in this field.

4. Is Electrical Engineering a challenging major?

Yes, Electrical Engineering can be a challenging major, as it requires a solid understanding of complex mathematical and physical concepts. However, with hard work and dedication, it is a highly rewarding and fulfilling field of study.

5. What are the job prospects for Electrical Engineering graduates?

The job market for Electrical Engineering graduates is strong, with a projected growth rate of 5% from 2019-2029. Graduates can find employment in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, telecommunications, aerospace, and healthcare. With the increasing demand for technology and renewable energy, the job prospects for EE graduates are expected to remain favorable in the future.