EE: utoronto, Waterloo, McGill or UBC?

• Thread starter fiddler crab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary: Theory is important, but they also want people who can actually DO stuff. In summary, the individual is an international student who has been accepted to four universities for Electrical Engineering programs and is seeking advice on which one to choose. They also have questions about the ranking of the universities, the quality of theoretical education, chances for top graduate schools, the importance of undergraduate co-op experience, and the practicality of Waterloo's EE curriculum. They are looking for a prompt response as the deadline for their decision is approaching.
fiddler crab
I'm an international and was admitted to the Electrical Engineering programs at the four universities. Any suggestions about which I should choose? I want to go to graduate school so I need letters of recommendation and undergraduate research opportunities.

I've got several questions:

1)How would you rank the five universities mentioned above, in terms of strength in EE?

2)Which university can offer more theoretical education that will prepare students better for grad schools?

3)Which university can give me a better chance for the top EE graduate schools in the US?

4)How much does undergraduate coop experience help when you apply to grad schools?

5)I heard that Waterloo's EE curriculum is relatively practical, which is just suitable for those who want to get jobs as soon as they graduate. Is that true?

It's kinda last-minute question since reply to McGill is due on May 1. Any response is greatly, greatly appreciated.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
1)How would you rank the five universities mentioned above, in terms of strength in EE?
UT, Waterloo/McGill, UBC.

I hear a lot about Waterloo being a great school for science/engineering here. But it never shows up on world rankings.

2)Which university can offer more theoretical education that will prepare students better for grad schools?
UT

3)Which university can give me a better chance for the top EE graduate schools in the US?
Waterloo/McGill. UT would if you got top grades, but its REALLY hard to get As at UT. Low GPA = low chance at top school.

4)How much does undergraduate coop experience help when you apply to grad schools?
Don't know.

5)I heard that Waterloo's EE curriculum is relatively practical, which is just suitable for those who want to get jobs as soon as they graduate. Is that true?
Yea... isn't that the point of an engineering degree?

I cannot make a specific recommendation for which university to choose, as it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. However, I can provide some general information and suggestions to help you make your decision.

1) In terms of strength in EE, all four universities are highly ranked and well-respected in the field. It would be difficult to rank them as each may have different strengths and research opportunities in different areas of EE. I would suggest researching the specific programs and faculty at each university to see which aligns best with your interests.

2) All four universities have strong theoretical education in EE. It would be beneficial to look at the course curriculum and research opportunities at each university to see which one aligns best with your goals for graduate school.

3) All four universities have strong reputations and can provide a good chance for admission to top EE graduate schools in the US. It would be important to focus on your academic performance, research experience, and letters of recommendation to increase your chances of admission to top schools.

4) Undergraduate co-op experience can be beneficial when applying to graduate schools, as it shows practical experience and can enhance your skills and knowledge in the field. However, it is not a requirement and there are other ways to gain research experience, such as volunteering in a lab or conducting independent research projects.

5) It is not necessarily true that Waterloo's EE curriculum is only suitable for those who want to get jobs right after graduation. Many universities, including Waterloo, offer a balance of theoretical and practical education in their EE programs. It would be important to research the specific courses and opportunities at each university to determine which aligns best with your goals.

In the end, it is important to choose a university that aligns with your interests, goals, and offers the opportunities you are looking for. I would suggest reaching out to current students or faculty at each university to get a better understanding of the programs and research opportunities. Good luck with your decision!

1. What is the ranking of these universities for electrical engineering?

According to the 2021 QS World University Rankings, the ranking for electrical engineering among these universities is as follows: 1. University of Toronto (14th), 2. University of Waterloo (37th), 3. McGill University (51-100th), and 4. University of British Columbia (51-100th).

2. Which university has the strongest electrical engineering program?

While all of these universities have strong electrical engineering programs, the University of Toronto is often recognized as having the strongest program. It is consistently ranked among the top 20 universities in the world for electrical engineering.

3. What are the research opportunities like for electrical engineering students at these universities?

All of these universities have extensive research opportunities for students in electrical engineering. Research areas include power systems, telecommunications, computer engineering, and more. Students can also participate in research projects with faculty members and have the opportunity to present their findings at conferences.

4. How are job prospects for electrical engineering graduates from these universities?

Graduates from these universities have excellent job prospects in the field of electrical engineering. Many top companies in Canada and around the world actively recruit graduates from these universities for positions in areas such as power systems, telecommunications, and software engineering.

5. What are the admission requirements for these universities' electrical engineering programs?

Admission requirements vary for each university, but generally, applicants are required to have a strong background in math and physics. They may also be required to submit standardized test scores (such as the SAT or ACT) and letters of recommendation. It is important to check the specific requirements of each university before applying.