Effect of capacitor plates at different angle

In summary, the conversation discusses simulating a capacitor with plates at an angle of 195 degrees and whether the electric lines of forces will still follow an elliptical path and if they can be mapped using an inverse cosine function. It is not clear if there is an analytic solution, but numerical simulations can provide a good approximation.
FALI
Hi,
I am interested to simulate the capacitor with plates having an angle of 195 degrees between them.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32847378/cp1.jpg
I know that if the angle between of plates is 180 deg, then electric lines of forces will follow a elliptical path and equipotential lines perpendicular to them as shown in image,
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32847378/coplanar1.jpg
and for mapping inverse cosine function is used. i.e. W = inv. Cos (Z)
where W = x + i y , Z = u + i v
So, for my case
  1. Will the electric lines of forces still follow the elliptical path?
  2. Can they also be mapped using inverse cosine function or will there be a variation?
This will help me in finding the capacitance. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FALI said:
Will the electric lines of forces still follow the elliptical path?
Not exactly, but they won't be completely different because your setup still looks similar.
FALI said:
Can they also be mapped using inverse cosine function or will there be a variation?
It is not clear if there is an analytic solution at all.

Hi,
Thanx for the reply. so, do you have any idea to solve that type of problem?

Yes analytical solution. For that i know the correct tranformation (mapping) function. It would be nice to go into a detail of that problem

mfb said:
Numerical simulations?
FALI said:
Yes analytical solution.
Huh?

I don't know if there is an analytic solution. A numerical approach will certainly give a good approximation (as good as you like if you have enough computing power).

What is the effect of having capacitor plates at different angles?

The angle of the capacitor plates affects the capacitance, or the ability to store electrical charge. When the plates are parallel, the capacitance is at its maximum. As the angle of the plates decreases, the capacitance decreases as well.

How does the distance between capacitor plates affect the angle's effect?

The distance between the capacitor plates also plays a role in the effect of the angle. As the distance increases, the effect of the angle decreases. This means that the capacitance will be less affected by the angle when the plates are further apart.

Why does the angle of the capacitor plates matter?

The angle of the capacitor plates affects the electric field between them. When the plates are parallel, the electric field is evenly distributed. However, when the plates are at an angle, the electric field becomes uneven, resulting in a decrease in capacitance.

What are some practical applications of this concept?

This concept is important in the design and functioning of electronic devices. Capacitors with angled plates can be used to create directional electric fields, which can be useful in certain applications such as directional microphones or antenna arrays.

Can the angle of the capacitor plates be adjusted after construction?

Yes, the angle of the capacitor plates can be adjusted after construction. This can be done by physically changing the position of the plates or by using materials with adjustable dielectric properties. This allows for flexibility in designing and optimizing the performance of electronic devices.