Effect of spring force on acceleration

In summary, a 20lb extension spring will add an additional 8lbs of force to the 8lb head on a treadle hammer.
jzzdrmr
Okay, so I am designing a new treadle hammer and I want to know how much force a spring will add to the force of the hammer.

Basically I have an 8 pound head that can either fall at the speed of gravity or be forced down by a 20lb extension spring.
search

The attached image is not my design and I don't own the image. But, it is similar to what I am doing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jzzdrmr said:
Okay, so I am designing a new treadle hammer and I want to know how much force a spring will add to the force of the hammer.

Basically I have an 8 pound head that can either fall at the speed of gravity or be forced down by a 20lb extension spring.
search

The attached image is not my design and I don't own the image. But, it is similar to what I am doing.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

The image did not Upload for some reason. Is it a PDF or JPEG?

When thinking of impacts, think more in terms of "impulse" rather that force. You can search for more info on impulse to help out.

If you can get your image to Upload, we can be of more help.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

The image did not Upload for some reason. Is it a PDF or JPEG?

When thinking of impacts, think more in terms of "impulse" rather that force. You can search for more info on impulse to help out.

If you can get your image to Upload, we can be of more help.

I don't know why it won't show up. I tried to upload it on my phone, that's the problem I would guess. Unfortunately I don't have a url for any images. How ever if anyone uses on shape the file is called, sff001. I would also appreciate it if anyone could search treadle hammer and up load that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so i did a little more googling and think what I am trying to find out is impact force. Basically if an extension spring's max load is 20 lbs and an 8 pound object is pulling on it, does the final mass for impact forge calculating 28 lbs?

Related to Effect of spring force on acceleration

1. How does spring force affect acceleration?

The force exerted by a spring can affect the acceleration of an object by either increasing or decreasing it. When the spring is compressed or stretched, it exerts a force in the opposite direction, which can either add to or subtract from the net force acting on the object, thus affecting its acceleration.

2. What is Hooke's law and how does it relate to spring force and acceleration?

Hooke's law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This means that the farther a spring is stretched or compressed, the greater the force it will exert. This directly affects the acceleration of an object attached to the spring, as the spring's force will either add to or subtract from the net force acting on the object.

3. How does the spring constant affect the acceleration of an object?

The spring constant, denoted by k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. A higher spring constant means that the spring is stiffer and will exert a greater force for a given displacement. This in turn can affect the acceleration of an object attached to the spring, as a stiffer spring will exert a greater force and potentially create a larger acceleration.

4. Can spring force ever cause an object to decelerate?

Yes, spring force can cause an object to decelerate if the force it exerts is in the opposite direction of the object's motion. For example, if a spring is compressed and exerts a force in the opposite direction of an object moving to the right, it will slow down the object's acceleration and eventually bring it to a stop before reversing its direction.

5. How do other factors, such as mass and friction, affect the relationship between spring force and acceleration?

Other factors, such as mass and friction, can affect the relationship between spring force and acceleration. The mass of the object attached to the spring will affect how much the spring compresses or stretches, and thus the force it exerts. Friction can also play a role in reducing the acceleration of an object attached to a spring, as it will act in the opposite direction of the object's motion and decrease its speed.