Understanding Skeet Thrower Mechanics: Spring Selection and Release Velocity

• Thread starter Cam_P
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles of selecting a spring for a DIY skeet thrower and how to relate the spring energy storage and tension force to the release velocity of the clay. The participants suggest using conservation of energy to determine the release velocity, neglecting friction. The desired release velocity is around 15 meters per second and the mass of the clay is 0.12 kilograms. The conversation also mentions considering the k values and stretch of the spring in the loaded position. One participant asks for the other to show their work using suggested equations.
Cam_P
Hi guys!

I'm struggling to select a spring for a DIY skeet thrower i am making, it'll probably be a similar design to the one pictured.

I just don't understand how to relate the spring energy storage and the tension force from Hooke's law to the release velocity of the clay. or even the angular velocity of the spring arm.
612gdv%2BJI3L._SL1500_.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is essentially a machine dynamics question, and should not be too difficult (I think). I'm not personally familiar with this device, so I'm not entirely clear as to what I'm seeing in the picture. Do you have a top view or a schematic showing clearly how the device works? If so, I'm pretty sure I can help you.

Likes Cam_P
this link may help

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0714QHJ32/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://outlook.office.com/owa/service.svc/s/GetFileAttachment?id=AAMkAGJiNGYzMzE2LTE2ZjctNDkwZS04YWU2LTFiZGNiNDZiNWExNABGAAAAAAAMsBEqZjKgS4Lp2EQQihiyBwBl1JHdDzN4S7H4NHxB29OKAAAAAAEMAABl1JHdDzN4S7H4NHxB29OKAAELotnqAAABEgAQAPHu44w2Xx9Gpbb%2BstqU2bw%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=rmkzbi613ESb6tabf406umDXG_7FFNUYjZegY9kXdkzDw3wdLWrlKiWqNFQngyKrC5VpkSAT5zA.&isImagePreview=True

Above is the sketch i have of the moving parts and relevant lengths

Cam_P said:
I just don't understand how to relate the spring energy storage and the tension force from Hooke's law to the release velocity of the clay. or even the angular velocity of the spring arm.
For a first cut, assume about 75% of the stored energy in the spring goes into the launch velocity of the pigeon. Do you know about what you want for the Vo of the pigeon? Then just use 1/2 mv^2 for the KE of the pigeon compared to 1/2 kx^2 for the PE stored in the taut spring.

Likes DoctorPhysics
Cam_P said:
Above is the sketch i have of the moving parts and relevant lengths
Not working so far... Are you using the Upload button? What is the file type?

You ask about determining the release velocity. I suggest to you that the simplest approach is to employ conservation of energy.

1. Determine the energy stored in the spring with the system cocked.
2. Express the system energy at the point of release. This will include (a) the kinetic energy of the arm, (b) the kinetic energy of the clay, and (c) any remaining energy stored in the spring.
3. Set these two energies equal and solve for the final velocity.
This approach neglects friction, but that may not be too important in this application. The resulting velocity will be a little bit higher than actual for that reason.

I want the release velocity to be about 15ms-1

What is the mass of the pigeon?

0.12kg

Well, what are the typical k values for the springs you are considering using? What is the amount of stretch you expect for your spring when in the loaded position.

Please show your work with the equations that Dr.D and I have been suggesting for you to use.

I cannot see any sketch with dimensions; all I see is . I'd be very interested in seeing what you have designed here. In particular, I'd like to know what causes the actual launch to occur? Does the arm hit a stop, allowing the clay to continue on, or is it some other mechanism?

If you use the energy approach that I suggested, you can assign the release velocity and solve for the spring constant K, and you can play games with the free length of the spring (all in a simple computer code).

In addition to the mass of the clay, you will need the mass moment of inertia of the clay about the spin axis. A substantial part of the kinetic energy of the clay will reside in the spin, so this is an important term.

Related to Understanding Skeet Thrower Mechanics: Spring Selection and Release Velocity

What is the purpose of understanding skeet thrower mechanics?

The purpose of understanding skeet thrower mechanics is to improve accuracy and consistency in shooting. By understanding how the spring selection and release velocity affect the trajectory of the skeet, shooters can make adjustments to achieve their desired results.

How does the selection of spring affect the performance of a skeet thrower?

The selection of spring affects the performance of a skeet thrower by determining the amount of force and speed with which the skeet is launched. A stiffer spring will result in a faster and farther throw, while a softer spring will result in a slower and shorter throw.

What factors should be considered when choosing a spring for a skeet thrower?

When choosing a spring for a skeet thrower, factors such as the weight and size of the skeet, the desired distance and trajectory of the throw, and the overall power of the thrower should be considered. It is important to select a spring that will provide enough force to launch the skeet at the desired velocity.

How does release velocity affect the flight of a skeet?

The release velocity, or the speed at which the skeet is launched from the thrower, affects the flight of the skeet by determining its initial velocity and trajectory. A higher release velocity will result in a faster and flatter flight, while a lower release velocity will result in a slower and more arced flight.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when adjusting spring selection and release velocity?

Some common mistakes to avoid when adjusting spring selection and release velocity include not considering the weight and size of the skeet, not testing and adjusting in small increments, and not considering the conditions of the shooting range. It is important to carefully consider all factors and make gradual adjustments for optimal results.