Effective break-taking in between studying

• Studying
  • Thread starter DrummingAtom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience of adjusting to studying again, and their strategy of studying for 2 hours at a time with breaks in between. They also mention their goal of developing good habits for upper level classes and ask for advice. Another person shares their own habit of taking walks during breaks, and the speaker adds that they study for 50 minutes and take a 10 minute break, followed by a longer break after 3 study periods.
DrummingAtom
Being my first semester back in a while. It took me a couple months to get used to studying again. I usually do about 2 hours at a time then take a break. I would say after 2 of these sessions(4 hours total) I'm quite burned out. For my breaks, I just usually sit around and space out. I want to develop killer habits by the time I'm taking upper level classes. Thanks for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
I used to take very fast walks around campus on my breaks, especially up hills. That cleared my head and got my blood circulating.

I usually study for 50 minutes and take a 10 minute break. Then, after 3 of these 50 minute study periods, I take a break for 1 hour.

1. What is the recommended frequency and duration for taking breaks while studying?

The recommended frequency for taking breaks while studying is every 45-50 minutes. The duration of the break should be around 10-15 minutes.

2. What activities should I do during my breaks to make them effective?

During breaks, it is important to engage in activities that are refreshing and relaxing. This can include taking a short walk, stretching, listening to music, or doing a hobby.

3. Is it better to take longer breaks less frequently or shorter breaks more frequently?

It is generally more effective to take shorter breaks more frequently. This allows for better productivity and focus during the study sessions.

4. Can breaks be harmful to my studying progress?

No, breaks are essential for effective studying. They allow for rest and replenishment of mental energy, which can lead to improved concentration and retention of information.

5. How can I avoid getting distracted during my breaks?

To avoid getting distracted during breaks, it is important to set a timer and stick to the designated break time. Also, try to avoid using electronic devices or engaging in activities that can easily turn into longer distractions.