Effects of hydrogen anions in the solar atmosphere

In summary, the population density of ##H^-## hydrogen anions in the Sun's atmosphere is relatively rare, but still significant as they are the dominant source of opacity in radiative transfer in stellar atmospheres. These anions are formed by the acceptance of a free electron, which becomes bound to the H atom, and can be stripped by a higher energy photon. The exact number of anions in the Sun's atmosphere compared to neutral hydrogen atoms is currently unknown.
sciFax
TL;DR Summary
I have some questions concerning ##H^-## hydrogen anions in the Sun's atmosphere.
What is the population density of ##H^-## hydrogen anions in the Sun's atmosphere, how stable are they, what limits their numbers, and since they are the dominant source of opacity in radiative transfer in stellar atmospheres, what do they effectively "hide"?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My guess - very rare. Heat would ionize to protons.

mathman said:
My guess - very rare. Heat would ionize to protons.
Before I heard about the ##H^-## anion (a hydrogen atom with TWO electrons), I would have guessed they would not even exist. Apparently they do in fact exist in the solar atmosphere, and in sufficient numbers/abundance that they are "the dominant bound-free opacity source at visible and near-infrared wavelengths in the atmospheres of stars like the Sun and cooler ".

Having done a little more reading on the subject, it would appear the these anions are formed by the acceptance of a free electron, which becomes bound to the H atom, but not so strongly as the original electron in the atom. This is accompanied by the release of a photon. The process of stripping the second electron is known as photodissociation, since that electron is knocked out the anion by another, higher energy photon (and since this leads to a neutral H atom, it's not termed ionization). So this is where the opacity comes from, since a wide range of photon energies can lead to this photodissociation.

So, my one remaining question is: how many of these ##H^-## anions exist in the Sun's atmosphere at anyone time as a proportion to, say, neutral hydrogen atoms?

Sorry - google search didn't turn up anything.

@mathman - yes, it's frustrating. Thanks for trying though :)

1. What is the role of hydrogen anions in the solar atmosphere?

Hydrogen anions, also known as H- ions, play a crucial role in the solar atmosphere. They are responsible for the absorption of ultraviolet radiation from the Sun, which helps regulate the temperature and energy balance of the atmosphere. Additionally, H- ions also play a role in the formation of molecules in the atmosphere.

2. How do hydrogen anions affect the composition of the solar atmosphere?

Hydrogen anions are constantly reacting with other elements and molecules in the solar atmosphere, leading to changes in the composition of the atmosphere. They are known to contribute to the formation of complex molecules, such as water and methane, which are essential for sustaining life on Earth.

3. What impact do hydrogen anions have on solar weather?

Hydrogen anions play a significant role in solar weather. They are involved in the formation of sunspots, solar flares, and coronal mass ejections, which can have a major impact on space weather and can affect Earth's magnetic field and communication systems.

4. How are hydrogen anions studied in the solar atmosphere?

Scientists use various methods to study hydrogen anions in the solar atmosphere, including spectroscopy, which allows them to analyze the absorption and emission of light from H- ions. They also use instruments such as telescopes and satellites to observe and measure the behavior of hydrogen anions in the solar atmosphere.

5. What are the potential applications of studying hydrogen anions in the solar atmosphere?

The study of hydrogen anions in the solar atmosphere has many potential applications. It can help us better understand the behavior of the Sun and its impact on Earth's climate and weather. It can also aid in the development of advanced solar energy technologies and contribute to our understanding of the origins of life on Earth and other planets.