Effects of Solar Flares on the Moon and Equiptment used for lunar exploration

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
MonserrateM
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I would like to know what the effects of a solar flare would be on equiptment used for lunar exploration, say a robot to be specific. What kind effects would this have on the electrical system?

I also read a NASA article describing a large solar flare that created a long enduring proton storm, and as such I would like to know how large would the negative effects be?

Another question is how would one prevent or minimize the effects a solar flare would have on electrical equiptment? Are there any special batteries that would be recommended or shiedling compact enough to be used on equiptment of that size (like robots doing lunar exploration or mining in a crator).
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
MonserrateM said:
I would like to know what the effects of a solar flare would be on equiptment used for lunar exploration, say a robot to be specific. What kind effects would this have on the electrical system?

I also read a NASA article describing a large solar flare that created a long enduring proton storm, and as such I would like to know how large would the negative effects be?

Another question is how would one prevent or minimize the effects a solar flare would have on electrical equiptment? Are there any special batteries that would be recommended or shiedling compact enough to be used on equiptment of that size (like robots doing lunar exploration or mining in a crator).

Here is an article that is generally relevant to the subject.


The Effects of Solar Flares on Computers
http://www.ehow.com/info_8547370_effects-solar-flares-computers.html
 
Last edited by a moderator: