1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Efficiency projectile

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    Independent variable and spring constant k

Hi all,
    If someone could spare a minute to help answer my question I would appreciate it greatly,

I am trying to design an experiment to investigate the efficiency of a catapult,
    But need help in what i should use as the independent variable-
    and how i should use the spring constant k ( get a spring with a known constant k or change the constant each time)

I am using a Catapult- a standard weight- and will to measure distance of projectile.
    find the kinetic energy- divide it by the Potential energy to get % efficiency,

2. Relevant equations

Elastic Potential Energy Ee=0.5kx^2 (hookes law)
    Kinetic Energy Ek= 0.5mv^2 (v=d/t)

To find the Energy efficiency = Ek/Ee x100

3. The attempt at a solution

Need to clarify what i need to change each time to get a range of data,
    Would the independent variable - being the length of the catapult arm work (is this the same as how far the spring or rubber band is stretched -the x in elastic pot. formula -) ?
    or do I change something to do with the Elastic energy properties like the constant k?

the the dependent variable is how far the projectile is launched. and was thinking that i collect how far the weight is projected each time- from the same angle of 45*?

if anyone could help soon, it would be much appreciated,
    thanks

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2
    Would it be easier if i had a spring with a known spring constant k and change the arm length each time,
    ( i know that a larger arm will make it go further but has it got to do with torque or is it irrelevant to this experiment),

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook