Egg Drop Experiment strategies

In summary, the conversation is about a classical physics experiment where the goal is to prevent an egg from breaking when dropped from a height of 3m or higher using only 1 piece of 8" x 11" paper and 30 cm of masking tape. Suggestions include making a parachute, rolling the paper into a cylinder or cone shape, using the paper as a spring, and finding ways to lower the terminal velocity of the egg or evenly distribute force upon impact. It is also mentioned that eggs are only fragile when unequal force is applied to them, so techniques such as squeezing the egg evenly or using a rumpled paper as a cushion may also be effective.
Blitzy
Yo guys, I need some help with this classical physics experiment.

We can only use 1 piece 8" x 11" (computer paper) and 30 cm of masking tape. The goal is to get it not to break from 3m or higher.

If anyone can help with any good strategies, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
U can make a parachute out of the paper. Sounds silly but it works

Yeah, I tried that but it didn't go much higher than 1.5 meters...

Any other suggestions?

Unless ur allowed drop it onto the paper, no. In that case u could make a slide.

Id say work on ur parachute design. Did u make a hole in the top?

put the egg on the paper and roll the paper with the egg in the middle to a cylinder shape... drop it so that the circular end fall towards the ground... I don't know if it will work; it's just a thought.

I like that last idea :) you'd have to tape the egg in the centre of course and enough to stop the egg detaching on impact (if i get your idea correctly).

Parachute seems like the best bet though :P

Roll the paper up tightly (you'll have to experiment with the density) and use the tube as a spring, attach tape to both ends and bend it like a sling. Drop the egg onto the tape so that the paper spring takes the energy of impact.

(| <--- o(egg) or |) <--- 0(egg)

Ya, that's really good. If it was slightly conical it would definitely stop the egg from slipping down on impact. The paper in a conical shape wouldn't b quite as strong as cylindrical though

Find a way to lower the terminal velocity of the egg the most.

Ultimately you need to minimize the impulse delivered to the egg, so figure out a way to draw out the impact time or lower the momentum (either by parachute or some other means to help cancel the force of gravity). Also, eggs are only fragile when unequal force is applied to them. If you squeeze an egg in the palm of your hand, such that you squeeze evenly, the egg will not break. You might be able to use this to your advantage.

Mindscrape said:
Also, eggs are only fragile when unequal force is applied to them. If you squeeze an egg in the palm of your hand, such that you squeeze evenly, the egg will not break. You might be able to use this to your advantage.

I thought that only worked if you squeezed along the longest axis! (As in picture this dude keeping his mouth open. If he's an egg and you want to squeeze him without breaking him, you have to squeeze along the line that connects his chin to highest hair.) I only tried the egg-squeeze once; I misdirected my force after about half a minute so I ended up with a handful of broken egg. I don't think my mother wants me to continue experiments along these lines. Then again, if I held it over a bowl and made scrambled eggs when I was finished...

Last edited:
The semi-major axis is the strongest, but I've also done it with the semi-minor axis with success.

A rumpled paper can act like a cushion. Rumple your paper and tape the egg to it, keeping the stronger point down.

What materials can I use for the Egg Drop Experiment?

Common materials used for the Egg Drop Experiment include straws, popsicle sticks, cotton balls, bubble wrap, and cardboard. However, you can also get creative and use materials like marshmallows, feathers, or tissue paper.

What is the best design for the Egg Drop Experiment?

There is no one "best" design for the Egg Drop Experiment as it largely depends on the materials being used and the individual's strategy. Some common designs include creating a cushioned landing with soft materials or building a sturdy structure to protect the egg.

How can I ensure my egg survives the fall?

To increase the chances of your egg surviving the fall, it is important to carefully select and test your materials before the actual experiment. You can also consider adding multiple layers of protection or creating a shock-absorbing mechanism for the egg.

What factors should I consider when designing my Egg Drop Experiment?

There are several factors to consider when designing your Egg Drop Experiment, such as the height of the drop, the weight and fragility of the egg, and the materials being used. It is also important to think about the laws of physics and how they will affect the egg's landing.

How can I make my Egg Drop Experiment more challenging?

If you're looking for a more challenging Egg Drop Experiment, you can increase the height of the drop or limit the materials you can use. You can also add constraints, such as a time limit or a specific budget, to make the experiment more difficult and require more creative thinking.