1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg drop

1. May 10, 2005 #1

if anyone has successfully done an egg project like this, I would really appreciate any input.

The thread is in the general engineering section.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2005 #2
    I did this a few years ago although my model wasn't very good. What are the criteria for your drop? Height, size of protection for egg, etc.
  4. May 11, 2005 #3
    since i cant post the same question on both places, PLEASE visit the thread in the general engineering forum, where it all is explained. In case its been bumped down, heres the URL:
  5. May 12, 2005 #4
    Well, not quite an egg drop competition, but I had a water balloon competition
    I know that the egg is more fragile.

Basically, since the momentum when the egg hits the floor is very high
    (remember the momentum equation?)
    Well, just for in case,
    [tex]p = mv[/tex], and the impulse,
    [tex]I = F \Delta T = \Delta p[/tex]

You can change the momentum if you either change the time(time it takes to hit the ground), or force(basically how hard it hits the ground)

If you CANNOT use a parachute like me, the only thing you can change is [tex] \Delta T[/tex]

Can you thing of a way to do that? :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?