Successfully Completed Egg Project: Seeking Input

In summary, the conversation is about an egg drop project and the poster is asking for input and criteria for the drop. Someone else mentions doing a similar project with a water balloon and the fragility of an egg is brought up. The conversation then shifts to discussing the impact of momentum and how to change it through time or force. The poster also mentions not being able to use a parachute and asks for ideas on how to change the time of impact.
deficiency4math
Hi,

if anyone has successfully done an egg project like this, I would really appreciate any input.

The thread is in the general engineering section.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I did this a few years ago although my model wasn't very good. What are the criteria for your drop? Height, size of protection for egg, etc.

Well, not quite an egg drop competition, but I had a water balloon competition
I know that the egg is more fragile.

Basically, since the momentum when the egg hits the floor is very high
(remember the momentum equation?)
Well, just for in case,
[tex]p = mv[/tex], and the impulse,
[tex]I = F \Delta T = \Delta p[/tex]

You can change the momentum if you either change the time(time it takes to hit the ground), or force(basically how hard it hits the ground)

If you CANNOT use a parachute like me, the only thing you can change is [tex] \Delta T[/tex]

Can you thing of a way to do that? :smile:

1. How did you measure the success of the egg project?

The success of the egg project was measured by the condition of the eggs after completion. If the eggs were intact and not cracked or broken, it was considered a successful project.

2. What materials were used for the egg project?

The materials used for the egg project included eggs, various containers or structures to hold the eggs, and other items such as padding, cushions, or protective covering for the eggs.

3. Was there a specific method or technique used to successfully complete the egg project?

Yes, there were various methods and techniques used depending on the specific project. Some examples include creating a cushioned base for the egg, using a structure to distribute weight evenly, or wrapping the egg in layers of protective materials.

4. Did you encounter any challenges during the egg project and how did you overcome them?

There were some challenges encountered during the egg project, such as finding the right materials or creating a sturdy enough structure to protect the egg. These challenges were overcome through trial and error and by using different strategies until a successful solution was found.

5. What advice do you have for others attempting a similar egg project?

My advice would be to thoroughly plan and test your project before attempting it with the actual eggs. Also, don't be afraid to try different methods and techniques until you find one that works. And most importantly, have fun and learn from the process!