Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues

In summary, eigenfunctions are mathematical entities that can represent physical entities such as momentum, position, and energy. The function exp(-kx) could potentially be an eigenfunction of a mathematical operator, but may not be a physical eigenfunction due to its behavior at negative infinity. However, if the function is defined on a semi-infinite region, it could be a valid eigenfunction. In general, the relationship that defines eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of an operator is that the function will be mapped to another function which is the same function multiplied by the eigenvalue. In the case of d/dx exp(-kx) = -k.exp(-kx), the eigenvalue is -k and the function remains exp(-kx). Therefore
Amy B
is exp (-kx) an eigenfunction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it could be, but ...

eigenfunctions have to be eigenfunctions of something. Namely, a matrix, or an operator (which is like a matrix, but often infinite-dimensional). They're mathematical entities which can represent physical entities. Your function could certainly be an eigenfunction of a mathematical operator, but it probably wouldn't be a physical eigenfunction. (Since this is the quantum physics forum I assume physical QM-related eigenfunctions are the main interest.)

Physical observables like momentum, position, energy are represented by operators in a Hilbert Space, and they have eigenfunctions - also called eigenvectors or eigenstates.

The thing is, normally k is used for a real number, and I assume it is here. The reason your function is unlikely to be a physical eigenfunction is that it blows up at negative infinity (supposing k is positive). If your function were only defined on the positive real number axis it could be a physical eigenfunction, because it goes to 0 and is square integrable.

In fact it can appear in tunneling problems; is that where you got it?

More likely you're probably missing an "i": it should be exp(-ikx). If k is square root (2mE) / hbar, for instance, then this could be a typical eigenfunction for the energy of a free particle (non-relativistic, time-independent).

Amy B said:
That's like asking "Is 23 an answer?" - it might be, but we have to know what the question is first.

An eigenfunction is a solution to an equation (of a particular type) so if you give me a function and ask if it's an eigenfunction, I have to answer that it depends on what equation you had in mind.

Likes bhobba
oops, I forgot to mention that the operator is d/dx

OK, so what is the general relationship that defines the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of an operator? If function f is an eigenfunction of operator O, with eigenvalue E, what relationship has to be true?

Amy B said:

In quantum mechanics, the set of possible wave functions depends on the boundary conditions. With the usual one-dimensional case in which space is the real numbers [itex]-\infty < x < +\infty[/itex], the boundary condition is that [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} |\psi(x)|^2 dx < \infty[/itex]. In the case of [itex]e^{-kx}[/itex], this integral is not defined (because that function goes to infinity as [itex]x \rightarrow -\infty[/itex].

On the other hand, if space (or the portion of space that is occupied by the particle) is a semi-infinite region [itex]0 \leq x < \infty[/itex], then that function is perfectly acceptable.

jtbell said:
OK, so what is the general relationship that defines the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of an operator? If function f is an eigenfunction of operator O, with eigenvalue E, what relationship has to be true?

if the operator O acts on the function F, then the function will be mapped to another function which is the same function f times an eigenvalue E.
so if d/dx exp(-kx) = -k.exp(-kx) the eigenvalue E is -k and the function f remains exp(-kx), so I think this should be an eigenfunction, but just want to be sure.

Amy B said:
so if d/dx exp(-kx) = -k.exp(-kx) the eigenvalue E is -k and the function f remains exp(-kx)

Correct! :woot:

To re-phrase it slightly, ##e^{-kx}## is an eigenfunction of ##\frac{d}{dx}##, with eigenvalue ##-k##.

1. What are eigenfunctions and eigenvalues?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are concepts from linear algebra that are used to study the behavior of linear transformations. An eigenfunction is a non-zero function that, when multiplied by a transformation, remains unchanged except for a scalar multiple. An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents the scaling factor of the eigenfunction.

2. Why are eigenfunctions and eigenvalues important?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are important because they allow us to simplify complex linear transformations into more manageable forms. They also provide insight into the behavior of these transformations and can help us understand the underlying structure and patterns of a system.

3. How are eigenfunctions and eigenvalues calculated?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues can be calculated using a variety of methods, such as solving the characteristic equation or using matrix diagonalization. The specific method used depends on the type of transformation and the desired outcome.

4. Can eigenfunctions and eigenvalues be negative?

Yes, eigenfunctions and eigenvalues can be negative. The sign of an eigenvalue depends on the transformation being studied and does not affect its significance. However, eigenfunctions are often normalized to have a positive value for convenience.

5. What are some real-life applications of eigenfunctions and eigenvalues?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues have numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used in image and signal processing, quantum mechanics, and modeling systems in economics and finance. They also play a crucial role in finding the solutions to differential equations.