Einstein's Train and a simple consequence

• Thread starter robert Ihnot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativity and the scenario of lightning bolts being emitted from both ends of a moving train. The participants debate about where the light beams will meet, whether it is in the center of the train or the center of the tracks. The conclusion is that the principle of relativity applies and the outcome will be the same regardless of the frame of reference.
robert Ihnot
This should be a simple question for this Forum: Einstein tells us that when the train is moving and the lightning flashes on both ends of the train,if it meets at the center of the tracks, it will not meet at the center of the train for the obvious reason that the train has moved off from that position.

The webmaster for Relativity for Cranks can not see the difference between the lightning bolts at rest on the tracks and light beams flashed by the conductor and the engineer on the train at equal distance from the center, instead of the exterior lightning bolts, to the middle of the train. In this second case, I say that the light flashes must meet in the center of the train otherwise we could detect absolute motion. Look at it this way: We can always consider the train at rest and the tracks as moving.

I would like someone to assure me that I have this correct, if I do. Thanks, Bob

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I read your question correctly, it sounds like the Webmaster of Relativity for cranks knows something about Relativity. If you would not listen to him I doubt you will listen to anyone here.

It does not matter if the light beams are emitted from the stationary ground or the moving train they will meet in the same place. The speed of light is independent of the speed of the emitting body.

What do you mean by "meet in the center of the tracks"? Since we are talking about the length of the track, where exactly is the center?

The webmaster is right. Add to the situation an observer on the ground, and then have the engineer and the conductor, and the stationary bulbs all emit flashes simultaneoulsy as the engineer and conductor line up with the stationary bulbs. Because of the constancy of the speed of light the paired light beams (the engineer/one bulb and the conductor/the other bulb) must remain paired as they were emitted from the same point (along the one-dimensional motion of the track) and so must meet their counterparts at the same time and at the same point (again speaking one-dimensionally along the direction of motion). There is no difference between beams emitted by tghe stationary bulbs or the moving people.

HallsofIvy said:
What do you mean by "meet in the center of the tracks"? Since we are talking about the length of the track, where exactly is the center?

I am looking at this directly from what Einstein wrote: When we say that the lightning strokes A and B are simultaneous with respect to the embankment, we mean: the rays of light emitted at the places A and B, where the lightning occurs, meet each other at the mid-point M of the length A —> B of the embankment. But the events A and B also correspond to positions A and B on the train. Let M' be the mid-point of the distance A —> B on the traveling train. Just when the flashes 1 of lightning occur, this point M' naturally coincides with the point M, but it moves towards the right in the diagram with the velocity v of the train. If an observer sitting in the position M’ in the train did not possesses this velocity, then he would remain permanently at M, and the light rays emitted by the flashes of lightning A and B would reach him simultaneously

Well, what if we consider the train at rest and the tracks as moving?

robert Ihnot said:
Well, what if we consider the train at rest and the tracks as moving?

You'll get the same result, that is the principle of relativity.

the train at rest

WEll, if the train is at rest and the engineer and the conductor both send off beams half way from the center of the train, why would they not arrive at the center at the same time, while with regards to the track this would not happen?

robert Ihnot said:
WEll, if the train is at rest and the engineer and the conductor both send off beams half way from the center of the train, why would they not arrive at the center at the same time, while with regards to the track this would not happen?

Your mistake is not specifying the frame of reference you are using. In my post i used the frame of reference of the stationary observer at all times. He saw the two sets of light pulses converging simultaneously at the midpoint between the two stationary bulbs.

In your statement you have switched reference frames to the train. An observer on the train sees the beams meet at the mid point between the engineer and the conductor, and not at the mid point between the bulbs on the embankment, for both pairs of beams, again because of the constancy of the speed of light.

Train at rest...

I thought that was what I had in mind. With the train system "at rest," we have no way to determine absolute motion. So maybe I was not entirely wrong, just sounded wrong. With the train at rest, the lightning bolts at rest, they meet in the center of the train. However with the train at rest, the tracks moving and the lightning bolts moving the same way, then the bolts meet in the middle of the tracks. Yes?

robert Ihnot said:
I thought that was what I had in mind. With the train system "at rest," we have no way to determine absolute motion. So maybe I was not entirely wrong, just sounded wrong. With the train at rest, the lightning bolts at rest, they meet in the center of the train. However with the train at rest, the tracks moving and the lightning bolts moving the same way, then the bolts meet in the middle of the tracks. Yes?

Yes, but you can take that further. In both cases you are talking about the frame taken to be at rest. An observer taken to be in the moving frame will see the same thing as if his frame were taken to be at rest. So there is no absolute motion. And furthermore, motion being described in terms of space and time, if there is no absolute motion, there is neither absolute space nor absolute time, all 3 must be relative to the frame of reference of the observer. All of this proceeds directly from the combination of the constancy of the speed of light for all observers and the relativity principle (and of course other assumptions too fundamental for us to consciouly take note of, despite their obvious epistemological significance)

1. How does Einstein's Train thought experiment illustrate the theory of relativity?

Einstein's Train thought experiment involves two observers, one on a moving train and one on a stationary platform, measuring the speed of a light beam. This illustrates the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all non-accelerating observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. What is the simple consequence of Einstein's Train thought experiment?

The simple consequence of Einstein's Train thought experiment is that the speed of light is constant and unaffected by the motion of the observer. This goes against the previously accepted idea of a stationary ether and paved the way for the development of the theory of relativity.

3. How did Einstein's Train thought experiment challenge classical physics?

Classical physics believed in the existence of a stationary ether, through which light waves were thought to travel. However, Einstein's thought experiment showed that the speed of light is constant and does not require an ether. This challenged the fundamental principles of classical physics.

4. How does Einstein's Train thought experiment relate to time dilation?

Einstein's Train thought experiment also illustrates the concept of time dilation, which is the idea that time moves at different rates for observers in different frames of reference. The observer on the moving train would experience time passing slower than the observer on the stationary platform.

5. What impact did Einstein's Train thought experiment have on our understanding of the universe?

Einstein's Train thought experiment revolutionized our understanding of the universe by introducing the theory of relativity. This theory has led to numerous scientific advancements and has become a fundamental part of modern physics. It also paved the way for further exploration of concepts such as time dilation, space-time, and the relationship between matter and energy.