EIT / FE test, anyone taken it?

• Thread starter babygodzilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    eit Test
In summary, the EIT is a good idea to take if you want to work as an electrical engineer, but it's not hard and it's basically worthless. The PE is more important, and it should be taken along with an undergraduate degree in engineering.
babygodzilla
how hard is the EIT / FE test? is it a good idea to take it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It wasn't hard, but it's basically worthless. To me, at least. You need to work under someone who has their license for 3 years after you pass the FE. Then you take another test.

However, I've found that it is rare to find an EE who has a PE license, for whatever reason.

is that so...? Hmm... i was recommended to take that test by someone who has a PE in Civil Eng. He said that test is recognized internationally, so if I want to work in some other country someday, and I do like to travel, that would definitely help he said.

anyone else have taken this test?

I think you should look into that fact. I don't see how it could be recognized in other countries.

hmmm that's interesting.

what other certifications are there for an electrical engineer?

I'm not aware of any certifications specifically for EE's beyond the usual university degrees. I mean there are all sorts of IT and other similar industry certs, but none specifically for EE's as far as I know.

I have a PE in EE. The PE is basically driven by the CEs and MEs and in EE its the guys in industrial power and lighting, a field where the PE is definitely not useless; its required in the consulting buis. In that area you need it stamp drawings (and accept the responsibility that goes along with that). The EIT is a basic but very comprehensive test that shouldn't be that difficult if you take it close to an undergraduate education since you'll see freshman chemistry questions and the like on there. The PE entails much more difficult and practical questions that require a deeper knowledge of the chosen field and some design ability. In sum then:
a) for EE's in other than power & light the PE is rare
b) completing the EIT, the recommendations, and the PE test is achievement and a near guaranteed mark of some engineering competence on any resume which I review.

1. What is the EIT/FE test?

The EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) test is a standardized exam administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES). It is the first step towards becoming a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in the United States.

2. Who is eligible to take the EIT/FE test?

Typically, individuals who have completed or are close to completing their undergraduate degree in engineering or a related field are eligible to take the EIT/FE test. Some states also allow individuals with certain types of work experience to take the exam without a degree.

3. What is the format of the EIT/FE test?

The EIT/FE test is a computer-based exam consisting of 110 multiple-choice questions. It is divided into two sections, with the first section covering general engineering topics and the second section covering discipline-specific topics.

4. How long is the EIT/FE test and how much time is given to complete it?

The EIT/FE test is 6 hours long, with a 25-minute break in between the two sections. Test-takers are given 5 hours and 20 minutes to complete the exam, with an additional 25 minutes for the break and 15 minutes for a tutorial and survey.

5. How can I prepare for the EIT/FE test?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for the EIT/FE test, such as review books, practice exams, and online courses. It is also recommended to familiarize yourself with the exam format and content specifications provided by the NCEES. Additionally, studying and reviewing your undergraduate coursework in engineering can also be beneficial.