Either f(x)=x[SUP]3[/SUP]+x-1; To calculate:

• Thread starter larry91
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around discussing the benefits and drawbacks of using social media. The participants shared their personal experiences and opinions on the topic, highlighting the potential for social media to connect people and spread information, as well as the negative effects of addiction and comparison. They also discussed the responsibility of individuals and companies in ensuring the ethical use of social media. Overall, it was a thought-provoking conversation that highlighted the complex nature of social media and its impact on society.
larry91
Either f(x)=x3+x-1; To calculate: [tex]\frac{x_2}{x_1}+\frac{x_3}{x_2}+\frac{x_1}{x_3}[/tex].

I tried a lot of approaches but I didn't get the solution! May you help me please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Fixed your LaTeX. Tip: Don't use HTML tags [ sup] and [ sub] inside LaTeX tags. Instead, use ^{n} or _{n}, respectively.
larry91 said:
Either f=x3+x-1; To calculate: [tex]\frac{x_2}{x_1}+\frac{x_3}{x_2}+\frac{x_1}{x_3}[/tex].

I tried a lot of approaches but I didn't get the solution! May you help me please?
I have no idea what you're asking. Either f = x3 + x - 1 OR what?

And how are you supposed to calculate the expression you give when you don't show values for x1, x2, and x3?

Please provide the complete problem statement.

From Viete's relations => [tex]x_1+x_2+x_3=0,x_1x_2+x_1x_3+x_2x_3=1,x_1x_2x_3=1;[/tex]
From these relations you should to calculate S;
[itex]x_1, x_2, x_3[/itex] are the solution of the F ecuation;

Last edited:

What does this mean?
larry91 said:
Either f=x3+x-1
Why did you write "either"?
Is f a number or did you mean f(x) = x3+x-1?
Are x1, x3, and x3 solutions of the equation f(x) = 0? I.e., solutions of the equation x3+x-1 = 0?

Yes! Sorry! f(x1) = f(x2) = f(x3) = 0;

What about "either"? What did you mean by that?

Sorry once again for mistake!

f(x) = x3+x-1; where x1, x2, x3 are the solutions of the equation f(x) = x3+x-1;
To calculate : [tex]\frac{x_2}{x_1}+\frac{x_3}{x_2}+\frac{x_1}{x_3}[/tex].

f(x) is a polynomial function;

Have you combined the three fractions to make a single fraction?

What does it mean to say that f(x1) = 0? f(x2) = 0? f(x3) = 0?

So, I'll give you an example!
f(x) = x3+x-1;
To calculate: [tex]\frac{1}{x_1+x_2}+\frac{1}{x_1+x_3}+\frac{1}{x_2+x_3}[/tex]

From Viete's relations => x1+x2+x3 = 0 =>
=> x1+x2 = -x3
x1x2+x1x3+x2x3=1
x1x2x3=1

So, we have to calculate : [tex]-\frac{1}{x_3}-\frac{1}{x_2}-\frac{1}{x_1}[/tex] = -([tex]\frac{x_1x_2+x_1x_3+x_2x_3}{x_1x_2x_3}[/tex]) = 1/1 = 1;

:)

I don't need an example of a different problem. I just want to know what work you have done on this problem. Have you combined the three fractions, yet?

What does it mean to say that f(x1) = 0? f(x2) = 0? f(x3) = 0?

Ok!

I try this: [tex]\frac{x_2}{x_1}+\frac{x_3}{x_2}+\frac{x_1}{x_3}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{x_2^2x_3}{x_1x_2x_3}+\frac{x_3^2x_1}{x_1x_2x_3}+\frac{x_1^2x_2}{x_1x_2x_3}[/tex]=
x22x3+x32x1 + x12x2;
And from here I tried a lot of different approaches but I didn't succeeded to solve it!

OK, that's what I get when I combine the three fractions.

Next, what does it mean that f(x1) = 0? And the same for the other two values.

The reasons that I'm asking all these questions are:
1) To find out what you have done. In your first post you didn't show any of the work that you have done. Before anyone can help you here, you need to show some evidence of trying to work the problem.
2) To see how much you understand this problem. I didn't get a complete explanation of what this problem was about until post #7. If you don't have a good understanding of just what the problem says, it's much harder to solve it.

You are being a little harsh here, Mark44. I think larry91 has a pretty good idea of what the Viete relations mean and has a legitimate problem. Post 9 was an attempt to prove that. I keep getting bumped off the net and loosing stuff so I'm going to do this one in several posts. Bear with me.

Ok, so the Viete relations allow you to solve for completely symmetric functions of the roots x1, x2 and x3. The immediate problem here is that F(x1,x2,x3)=x2/x1+x3/x2+x1/x3 is not a completely symmetric function of the roots. There are two different permutations of the roots that give you different answers. Check F(1,2,3) and F(3,2,1). They are different. Hence, it's not a pure Viete problem. The final hope is that maybe some special property of x^3+x-1 makes them equal. Stay tuned for part 3.

Ok, let's check the special property guess. Let's drag out the heavy artillery. I'm using the computer algebra system Maxima to actually approximate the roots. I find x1=.6823278, x2=1.1615414*i - .3411639 and x3 is the conjugate of x2, of course.
Check them. They work ok. Now compare F(x1,x2,x3) with F(x3,x2,x1). They are pretty different. Bad news. You can't compute the value of x2/x1+x3/x2+x1/x3 using Viete. There are two possible values. And neither looks very pleasant.

I tried this:
We can assume that F(x1,x2,x3) is a symetric ecuation; => F(x1,x2,x3) = F(xs(1),xs(2),xs(3)), where s is a permutation of the {1, 2, 3} set;

F(x1,x2,x3) = F(x2,x1,x3) => [tex]\frac{{x_2 }}{{x_1 }} + \frac{{x_3 }}{{x_2 }} + \frac{{x_1 }}{{x_3 }} = \frac{{x_3 }}{{x_1 }} + \frac{{x_1 }}{{x_2 }} + \frac{{x_2 }}{{x_3 }} \Rightarrow \frac{{x_2 }}{{x_1 }} + \frac{{x_3 }}{{x_2 }} + \frac{{x_1 }}{{x_3 }} - \frac{{x_3 }}{{x_1 }} - \frac{{x_1 }}{{x_2 }} - \frac{{x_2 }}{{x_3 }} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{{x_2 - x_3 }}{{x_1 }} + \frac{{x_3 - x_1 }}{{x_2 }} + \frac{{x_1 - x_2 }}{{x_3 }} = 0 [/tex]
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
x_1 + x_2 + x_3 = 0 \Rightarrow - x_3 = x_1 + x_2 ; - x_2 = ... \\
\Rightarrow \frac{{x_2 - x_3 }}{{x_1 }} + \frac{{x_3 - x_1 }}{{x_2 }} + \frac{{x_1 - x_2 }}{{x_3 }} = \frac{{2x_2 + x_1 }}{{x_1 }} + \frac{{2x_3 + x_2 }}{{x_2 }} + \frac{{2x_1 + x_3 }}{{x_3 }} = 0 \\
\Rightarrow 2(\frac{{x_2 }}{{x_1 }} + \frac{{x_3 }}{{x_2 }} + \frac{{x_1 }}{{x_3 }}) + 3 = 0 \Rightarrow 2S + 3 = 0 \Rightarrow S = - \frac{3}{2} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

larry91 said:
I tried this:
We can assume that F(x1,x2,x3) is a symetric ecuation; => F(x1,x2,x3) = F(xs(1),xs(2),xs(3)), where s is a permutation of the {1, 2, 3} set;

F(x1,x2,x3) = F(x2,x1,x3) => [tex]\frac{{x_2 }}{{x_1 }} + \frac{{x_3 }}{{x_2 }} + \frac{{x_1 }}{{x_3 }} = \frac{{x_3 }}{{x_1 }} + \frac{{x_1 }}{{x_2 }} + \frac{{x_2 }}{{x_3 }} \Rightarrow \frac{{x_2 }}{{x_1 }} + \frac{{x_3 }}{{x_2 }} + \frac{{x_1 }}{{x_3 }} - \frac{{x_3 }}{{x_1 }} - \frac{{x_1 }}{{x_2 }} - \frac{{x_2 }}{{x_3 }} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{{x_2 - x_3 }}{{x_1 }} + \frac{{x_3 - x_1 }}{{x_2 }} + \frac{{x_1 - x_2 }}{{x_3 }} = 0 [/tex]
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
x_1 + x_2 + x_3 = 0 \Rightarrow - x_3 = x_1 + x_2 ; - x_2 = ... \\
\Rightarrow \frac{{x_2 - x_3 }}{{x_1 }} + \frac{{x_3 - x_1 }}{{x_2 }} + \frac{{x_1 - x_2 }}{{x_3 }} = \frac{{2x_2 + x_1 }}{{x_1 }} + \frac{{2x_3 + x_2 }}{{x_2 }} + \frac{{2x_1 + x_3 }}{{x_3 }} = 0 \\
\Rightarrow 2(\frac{{x_2 }}{{x_1 }} + \frac{{x_3 }}{{x_2 }} + \frac{{x_1 }}{{x_3 }}) + 3 = 0 \Rightarrow 2S + 3 = 0 \Rightarrow S = - \frac{3}{2} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

The whole point I'm trying to make is that F(x1,x2,x3) is NOT a symmetric equation. Don't you believe me? You are getting the real part right, it's -3/2. But if you actually compute the three roots and plug them in you'll find F(x1,x2,x3) and F(x2,x1,x3) are complex conjugates. They aren't equal. G(x1,x2,x3)=F(x1,x2,x3)+F(x2,x1,x3) would be symmetric and you CAN compute that.

Ok! Thanks! :smile:

You need to read in your algebra textbook the chapter on 'symmetric polynomials' (or maybe 'symmetric functions of roots' or something) where it is explained that problems like this can always be solved and all such symmetric polynomials like your x22x3+... expressed in terms of the standard ones (x1 + x2 +...), (x1x2 + x1x3 + ..). ...

OK, just to get you into the idea this is not as hard as it looks, try expand

(x1 + x2 + x3)(x1x2 + x1x3 + x2x3)

Each bracket is something you've met already, and their product was going to give you the expression you are asked about plus something else, so it's not like it all came from the blue. :smile:

Last edited:

Sorry, in above comment I had not looked carefully enough, I just saw you seemed not to have solved it, but it seems instead you had got as far as I had.

Could you check if you have reported the question correctly? Because I mean

x2/x1 + x3/x2 + x1/x3

doesn't really mean anything. I mean x1, x2, x3 are just names for three different roots. So even if you know the three roots you are free to name them x1, x2, x3 in any order. Therefore only a symmetric function of them, which is independent of this choice means anything unless you are given more information that pins an identity on each one, as Dick I think is saying. I suspect the question was find Σx12x2 (six terms) which you can solve as I indicated.

Or maybe it's find x1/x2+x2/x1+x2/x3+x3/x2+x1/x3+x3/x1. I was guessing it was more like that. Yes, the problem is that the problem as stated isn't totally symmetric. And that is what I was saying.

Yes I really meant Σ(x1/x2) (six terms) which = (Σx12x2)/x1x2x3

Related to Either f(x)=x[SUP]3[/SUP]+x-1; To calculate:

1. How do I calculate the value of f(x) for a specific x?

To calculate the value of f(x), simply substitute the given value for x into the equation f(x) = x3+x-1. This will give you the corresponding y or f(x) value for that particular x.

2. How do I find the x-intercepts of the function f(x)?

To find the x-intercepts, set f(x) = 0 and solve for x. This will give you the values of x where the graph of the function crosses the x-axis.

3. How do I find the y-intercept of the function f(x)?

To find the y-intercept, simply substitute x = 0 into the equation f(x) = x3+x-1. This will give you the value of y where the graph of the function crosses the y-axis.

4. How do I graph the function f(x)?

To graph the function f(x), you can use a graphing calculator or plot points by choosing different values for x and calculating the corresponding values for f(x). You can also plot the x-intercepts and y-intercept to help you draw the graph.

5. Is the function f(x) continuous?

Yes, the function f(x) is continuous as it is a polynomial function with no discontinuities or breaks in the graph. This means that the graph can be drawn without lifting the pencil or pen from the paper.