Elastic collision in one dimension

In summary, Block 1 of mass M1 slides along an x-axis on a frictionless floor with a speed of 2.40 m/s. Then it undergoes a one-dimensional elastic collision with stationary block 2 of mass M2 = 2.00m1. Next, block 2 undergoes a one-dimensional elastic collision with stationary block 3 of mass M3 = 2.00m2.
munchy35

Homework Statement

Block 1 of mass m1 slides along an x-axis on a frictionless floor with a speed of 2.40 m/s. Then it undergoes a one-dimensional elastic collision with stationary block 2 of mass m2 = 2.00m1. Next, block 2 undergoes a one-dimensional elastic collision with stationary block 3 of mass m3 = 2.00m2.

what is the speed of block 3? the answer is 1.78.

i just can't figure it out.

more questions that relate to problem...are the speed, kinetic energy, and the momentum of block 3 greater than or less than, or th same as the initial values for block one?

the answers are less, less, greater...

but i don't need help with them because i haven't attempted them yet.

Homework Equations

v1f = m1 - m2 / m1 + m2 * v1i

v2f = 2m1 / m1 + m2 *v1i

The Attempt at a Solution

v1f = v2i = m1 - m2 / m1 + m2 * v1i
= m - 2m/ m + 2m *4
= -m/3m * 4
= -4/3

v2f = v3i = 2m1 / m1 + m2 * v1i
= 2m / m +2m *4
=2/3 *4
=8/3

v3f = m2 - m3 / m2 + m3 * v2i
= 2 - 4 / 2 + 4 * (-4/3)
= -2/6 (-4/3)
=-8/18

clearly this is wrong. i really did try a lot of different things. what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
In this problem collision is elastic. So you have to use the conservation of momentum and energy.
m(v1)i + 0 = m(v1)f + 2mv(2f) ...(1)
m(v1)i^2 + 0 = m(v1)f^2 + 2mv(2f)^2 ...(2)
Rewrite the first equation as
m(vi) - 2m(vf) = m(vf)...(3) Square both sides and subtract from equation (2) and solve for vf.
Repeat the same thing for the second collision.

i'm confused. won't doing that give me the same equations that i gave in the known equations?

Yes. You are right.
You have made mistake in v3f.. Formula also wrong. You have to use second formula.
In that v2f becomes v2i for the second collision.

yes thank you! i see it now. i got the answer of 1.78 m/s. =)

1. What is an elastic collision in one dimension?

An elastic collision in one dimension is a type of collision between two objects where both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and momentum of the system before and after the collision are the same.

2. How is the velocity of each object affected in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision in one dimension, the velocity of each object will change. The object with the greater mass will experience a smaller change in velocity, while the object with the smaller mass will experience a greater change in velocity. However, the total momentum of the system will remain constant.

3. What is the formula for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The formula for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision is: v1f = [(m1-m2)v1i + 2m2v2i]/(m1+m2) and v2f = [(m2-m1)v2i + 2m1v1i]/(m1+m2). Here, v1f and v2f are the final velocities of the two objects, m1 and m2 are their masses, and v1i and v2i are their initial velocities.

4. Can an elastic collision occur between objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between objects of different masses. As long as the total kinetic energy and momentum of the system are conserved, an elastic collision can occur between objects of any mass.

5. What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions in one dimension?

Some examples of elastic collisions in one dimension include a game of pool, where the balls collide and bounce off each other without losing any energy, and a ball bouncing off a wall, where the ball's velocity changes but its total kinetic energy remains the same. Another example is a collision between two cars, where the cars may bounce off each other without any significant damage, indicating an elastic collision.