Elastic collision in two dimensions

In summary, on a frictionless surface, a 0.35 kg puck moving horizontally to the right at 2.3 m/s collides with a stationary 0.23 kg puck. After the collision, the initial puck moves at 2.0 m/s and -32°, and the velocity of the other puck can be determined by finding the momentum vector that, when added to the first, will equal the initial momentum of 0.805 at 0°.
linnus

Homework Statement

On a frictionless surface, a 0.35 kg puck moves horizontally to the right (at an angle of 0°) and a speed of 2.3 m/s. It collides with a 0.23 kg puck that is stationary. After the collision, the puck that was initially moving has a speed of 2.0 m/s and is moving at an angle of −32°. What is the velocity of the other puck after the collision?

Homework Equations

Momentum before= momentum after
kinetic energy before= kinetic energy after
AB=AB cos (x)

The Attempt at a Solution

From Momentum before= momentum after, I got
M1=first mass
Vi1=initial velocity of the first mass
Vf1=final velocity of the first mass...and I think you get the rest
M1(Vi1-Vf1)=(M2)(Vf2)

From the kinetic energy before= kinetic energy after, i got
M1(Vi1^2-V1f^2)=(M2)(V2f^2)

Now I'm kinda lost on what to do...some advice?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok so you have one puck moving straight to the right initially. this has a certain momentum. this certain momentum is equal to the momentum of both of the pucks after the collision (which you already stated)

initial momentum = .35 x 2.3 = .805 to the right (0 degrees)

if you know that one will move at -32 degrees with a velocity of 2 so determine its momentum. all you have to do now is find the other momentum vector that, when added to this one, will equal .805 at 0 degrees.

Last edited:
i got it, thanks

1. What is an elastic collision in two dimensions?

An elastic collision in two dimensions is a type of collision between two objects in which both the momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum and total kinetic energy before and after the collision are the same.

2. How is an elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both the momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. In an inelastic collision, only the momentum is conserved, while some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

3. What are the equations used to calculate elastic collisions in two dimensions?

The equations used to calculate elastic collisions in two dimensions are the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f, and the conservation of kinetic energy equation: 1/2m1v1i^2 + 1/2m2v2i^2 = 1/2m1v1f^2 + 1/2m2v2f^2.

4. Can an elastic collision occur in real life?

Yes, elastic collisions can occur in real life. One example is the collision between two billiard balls on a pool table. As long as there is no external force acting on the system, the collision is considered to be elastic.

5. How do the masses and velocities of the objects affect an elastic collision?

The masses and velocities of the objects affect an elastic collision by determining the amount of momentum and kinetic energy that is transferred between the objects. Objects with larger masses and higher velocities will transfer more momentum and kinetic energy during a collision.