Elastic Collision of 89.5kg & 25.5kg Skaters - Kevin & Brother

• Thread starter spidey12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elastic
In summary, the problem involves Kevin, who has a mass of 89.5 kg, skating with in-line skates and grabbing his 25.50 kg younger brother at a speed of 2.13 m/s. To find Kevin's speed just before he grabbed his brother, the equation 1/2m1v012+1/2m2v022=1/2m1vf12+1/2m2vf22 is used, but the solution of 2.41 m/s is incorrect. After trying different approaches, it is discovered that the conservation of linear momentum (m x v) is the key to solving the problem.
spidey12

Homework Statement

Kevin has a mass of 89.5 kg and is skating with in-line skates. He sees his 25.50 kg younger brother up ahead standing on the sidewalk, with his back turned. Coming up from behind, he grabs his brother and rolls off at a speed of 2.13 m/s. Ignoring friction, find Kevin's speed just before he grabbed his brother.

Homework Equations

1/2m1v012+1/2m2v022=1/2m1vf12+1/2m2vf22

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried many ways of doing this problem, and I keep arriving at the same answer: 2.41 m/s which is incorrect. I then decided to pretend that the kid and his brother are one unit so i added their masses together multiplied times the 2.132 divided by 2 and set that equal to the left side of the above equation. However i again got 2.41. It seems that every way i try this problem i get 2.41

What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
spidey12 said:

Homework Statement

Kevin has a mass of 89.5 kg and is skating with in-line skates. He sees his 25.50 kg younger brother up ahead standing on the sidewalk, with his back turned. Coming up from behind, he grabs his brother and rolls off at a speed of 2.13 m/s. Ignoring friction, find Kevin's speed just before he grabbed his brother.

Homework Equations

1/2m1v012+1/2m2v022=1/2m1vf12+1/2m2vf22

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried many ways of doing this problem, and I keep arriving at the same answer: 2.41 m/s which is incorrect. I then decided to pretend that the kid and his brother are one unit so i added their masses together multiplied times the 2.132 divided by 2 and set that equal to the left side of the above equation. However i again got 2.41. It seems that every way i try this problem i get 2.41

What am i doing wrong?

Aren't you supposed to be conserving momentum? Isn't that simply m x v ?

Last edited:
LowlyPion said:
Aren't you supposed to be conserving linear momentum? Isn't that simply m x v ?
I am an idiot. I read waaaay to much into this problem. I got it. Thank you.

Related to Elastic Collision of 89.5kg & 25.5kg Skaters - Kevin & Brother

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total energy and total momentum after the collision.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of the skaters after the collision?

The velocity of the skaters after the collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the initial momentum of the system is equal to the final momentum of the system. This can be written as m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the skaters, v1i and v2i are their initial velocities, and v1f and v2f are their final velocities. Solving for v1f and v2f will give you the velocities of the skaters after the collision.

3. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

4. How do you determine if a collision is elastic or inelastic?

A collision is considered elastic if the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision is the same. If the kinetic energy changes, then the collision is considered inelastic.

5. Can you provide an example of an elastic collision in everyday life?

One example of an elastic collision in everyday life is when two billiard balls collide on a pool table. The balls will bounce off each other with the same amount of kinetic energy and momentum, making it an elastic collision.