Elastic Problem. Aluminum Wire in Horizontal Circle

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Young's Modulus and Centripetal Force equations to determine the required angular velocity for an object supported by an aluminum wire with a specific strain. The final answer is calculated to be 4.86 rad/s.
XwyhyX

Homework Statement

An aluminum wire is 0.850 m long and has a circular cross section of diameter 0.780 mm. Fixed at the top end, the wire supports a 1.20-kg object that swings in a horizontal circle. Determine the angular velocity required to produce a strain of 1.00  10–3.

Homework Equations

Y of Aluminum = 7.0x1010

Y = [itex]\frac{Stress}{strain}[/itex]

Stress = [itex]\frac{F}{A}[/itex]

Fc = ω2R

The Attempt at a Solution

I use Young's Modulus with the definition of stress and I get the equation

Y = [itex]\frac{F/A}{Strain}[/itex]

Then I can solve for F

A = [itex]\frac{∏(0.780)2}{4}[/itex] = 4.77x10-7

F = Y x Strain x Area

Okay, now I have the force which will give me the strain that is needed. I'll apply it in an object rotating in a horizontal circle, The force that I used will be the one on the X axis. So

Fc = Fsinθ

and also

R = Lsinθ

Using the equation of Centripetal Force I get the equation for angular Velocity

ω = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{Tsinθ}{Lsinθ}}[/itex]

Finally I get the value of 6.27 rad/s

I just want to know if I did it right. Because I don't have the correct answer for this. Thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Fc = mω2R

Oops. What a simple mistake :|

So

ω = sqrt(Fsinθ/mLsinθ)

giving an answer of 4.86 rad/s?

1. What is an elastic problem?

An elastic problem is a type of physics problem that involves the deformation of an object due to the application of a force. In these types of problems, the object is usually assumed to have elastic properties, meaning it can return to its original shape after the force is removed.

2. How does aluminum wire behave in a horizontal circle?

Aluminum wire in a horizontal circle behaves similarly to other elastic materials. As it is rotated in a circle, it will experience a centripetal force that causes it to stretch and deform. However, once the force is removed, the wire will return to its original shape due to its elastic properties.

3. What factors affect the elastic behavior of aluminum wire in a horizontal circle?

The main factors that affect the elastic behavior of aluminum wire in a horizontal circle are the material properties of the wire, the magnitude of the centripetal force, and the radius of the circle. Other factors such as temperature and external forces may also play a role.

4. How can I calculate the elastic potential energy of aluminum wire in a horizontal circle?

The elastic potential energy of aluminum wire in a horizontal circle can be calculated using the formula U = (1/2)kx^2, where U is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant of the wire, and x is the amount of stretch or compression of the wire from its equilibrium position.

5. What are some real-world applications of the elastic problem with aluminum wire in a horizontal circle?

The elastic problem with aluminum wire in a horizontal circle has many real-world applications, including in the design of suspension bridges, roller coasters, and bungee jumping cords. Understanding the behavior of elastic materials is also important in fields such as material science and engineering.