Calculate Water Volume From Pressure Vessel Burst

In summary, a cylindrical steel pressure vessel with a volume of 1.3m^3 is filled with water and a piston is used to increase the pressure inside by 2000kPa. The safety plug on the top bursts and the water escapes, but the vessel remains at its new volume. To find the amount of water that escapes, the change in pressure is used in the formula \Delta V = -V(\Delta P)/B. Using this formula, the change in volume is calculated to be -1.3x10^-3m^3, which is equivalent to 1.3L.
fredrick08
Elasticity! Pressure!

Homework Statement

A cylindrical steel pressure vessel with volume 1.3m^3 is to be tested. The vessel is filled with water, then a piston at one end pushes until the pressure inside increases by 2000kPa, then suddenly a safety plug on the top bursts.
how many litres of water come out?
B=.02x10^10Pa

Homework Equations

P1=P0+[tex]\rho[/tex]gh
P1=-B([tex]\Delta[/tex]V/V)

The Attempt at a Solution

P1=P0+2000kPa
[tex]\Delta[/tex]V=-V(P1/B)=-1.3(P0+2000/.2x10^10)m^3
please i need help... i got no idea where to go from now... i don't have density, or a height, or youngs modulus of steel?? please can someone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
am i missing any formulas? coz I am really stuck with this one

Hi fredrick08,

The container originally held 1.3 m^3 of water; once the pressure has increased (by the piston being pushed inwards) how much has that volume decreased? (This would be related to how far were they able to push in the piston, but you find it using the equation you have with [itex]\Delta V[/itex].) What number do you get?

Once the safety plug burst, the water goes back to its original volume (since it's open to the atmosphere), but the container is still at its new volume. So how much water escapes?

ok yes, but how can i find the distance?? coz i don't know the initial pressure??

i mean how can i find the distance the piston goes in... coz don't i need the initial pressure, coz the pressure increases by 2000kPa??

I just mentioned the distance to show what was happening in the experiment; you cannot find the distance here.

What you want to find first is the change in the volume, using the equation you had in your first post. What number do you get for the change in volume [itex]\Delta V[/itex]?

i don't know, coz the [tex]\Delta[/tex]V=-1.3(P0+2000kPa/.2x10^10) i don't understand how i can find this because i don't know P0?

P0 is the pressure before the piston began pushing, when the water was just poured into the container. So it would be atmospheric pressure.

oh you ok ty lol ok well [tex]\Delta[/tex]V=-1.3x10^-3m^3

which is 1.3L? is this right??

It looks like your formula is a bit off. You just need the change in pressure, which is the 2000kPa. The formula is

[tex]
\Delta P = -B \frac{\Delta V}{V}
[/tex]

so

[tex]
\Delta V = -V (\Delta P)/B
[/tex]

ok thankyou, this book I am using is hopeless... btw that other tank question i got rite, ty for all help = )

Sure, glad to help!

1. How do you calculate the volume of water from a pressure vessel burst?

To calculate the volume of water from a pressure vessel burst, you will need to know the burst pressure and the volume of the pressure vessel. The formula for calculating water volume from pressure vessel burst is: V = (P x Vp)/Pb, where V is the water volume, P is the atmospheric pressure, Vp is the volume of the pressure vessel, and Pb is the burst pressure.

2. What is the importance of calculating water volume from pressure vessel burst?

Calculating the water volume from a pressure vessel burst is important for safety and troubleshooting purposes. Knowing the volume of water that can potentially be released from a burst pressure vessel can help in determining the potential hazards and risks associated with the pressure vessel and its contents. This information is crucial for maintaining the safety of the surrounding environment and personnel.

3. Can the water volume from pressure vessel burst be calculated for all types of pressure vessels?

Yes, the formula for calculating water volume from pressure vessel burst can be used for all types of pressure vessels. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the calculation may vary depending on the specific design and characteristics of the pressure vessel.

4. How does the temperature affect the calculation of water volume from pressure vessel burst?

The temperature does not directly affect the calculation of water volume from pressure vessel burst. However, it can indirectly affect the burst pressure of the pressure vessel, which is a crucial variable in the calculation. Higher temperatures can cause the pressure vessel to expand, increasing the internal pressure and potentially leading to a higher burst pressure.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when calculating water volume from pressure vessel burst?

Yes, it is important to exercise caution and follow safety protocols when calculating water volume from pressure vessel burst. This may include wearing appropriate protective gear, ensuring proper ventilation in the area, and double-checking all variables and calculations to minimize the risk of errors. It is also important to consult with experts or follow established guidelines for accurate and safe calculations.