1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elasticity problem

1. Jan 7, 2013 #1
    Hello, I am struggling with this problem. It is probably the easiest problem ever...

[​IMG]

What I did: The plane has 2 stress components. σn and σs.

σn is a multiple of (l, m, k) vector. For σs, I made up a vector (a, b, c) which is orthogonal to (l, m, k). And I equated all vectors.

I'm probably doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2013 #2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

General plane formulas.

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that the plane has 2 stress components. σn and σs.

σn is a multiple of (l, m, k) vector. For σs, I made up a vector (a, b, c) which is orthogonal to (l, m, k). And I equated all vectors.

I'm probably doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated!

4. Jan 7, 2013 #3
    Hello, I am not an expert on elasticity but this really looks quite straightforward. Let's first find the stress vector T (I'm using T instead of σ to avoid confusion with the stress tensor). You will get it by multiplying the (diagonal) stress tensor by your normal vector as T=(σ1l, σ2m, σ3n). It has two components as you wrote, Tn and Ts. The magnitude of Tn is simply the dot product of T and n and its direction is along n as you wrote. Vector Ts has to be the complement to the total stress vector.
    And for the second part - the shear stress will be maximum if vector T lies in your plane, e.g. the dot product of T and n is zero.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  5. Jan 7, 2013 #4
    Whilst this thread properly belongs in the homework section, this needs comment.

What is a stress vector?

6. Jan 7, 2013 #5
    Aha, he's probably talking about the traction vector.

However, this was very helpful. Thanks

7. Jan 7, 2013 #6
    We defined it similarly like the article on wiki does, so I won't rewrite it...Stress on Wikipedia
    Most likely there are other methods or other terminology, I'm not a native speaker so i can't tell the subtle differences that well, sorry about that.

8. Jan 7, 2013 #7
    Thanks Zirkus!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?