Calculate Electricity Flow with Two Conductors of Different Diameters

• Thread starter satishinamdar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elecricity
In summary: Electric field current and drift velocity will be same2. Only current will be same3. Only drift velocity will be same4. None of the aboveNone of the above is correct, because the drift velocity needs to be less in the larger diameter conductor in order to keep the same number of charges passing by per unit time.
satishinamdar
A conducter with two diameters d1 and d2 (one single piece), carries a current.having lengths L.
What is same
n=free electrons in one cubic mtr
e=constant electronic charge=1.6X10^-19columbs
Vd=drift velocity

I solved as

Let total electrons in rod A be N
therefore I=N*e*Vd*A/A*L
Let total electrons in rod B be N'
Therefore I'=N'*e*Vd*A'/A'*L
THEREFORE I is not equal to I'
BECAUSE DRIFT VELOCITY REMAINS CONSTANT

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having a hard time understanding the question. Is it asking about comparing the physical characteristics of current in two different diameter metal rods? If so, I don't necessarily agree that the drift velocities will be the same. If the currents are equal, then the number of electrons flowing past a cross section of the rod per second will be equal. A larger cross sectional area means that the electrons have to be moving slower in order to get the same number per second. What does the question ask exactly?

This was a multiple choice question.to select one option out of four
1.electric field current and drift velocity will be same
2.Only current will be same
3.Only drift velocity will be same
4.None of the above

I'm still having to guess a bit at the question, but if it is a conductor formed by two rods in series (one rod larger than the other), then there is definitely just one correct answer out of the 4 you have listed.

To help you figure out the answer, how is the drift velocity defined? How is the current defined?

current is the charge passing through a cross section of a conductor per unit time
and drift velocity is the distance traveled by the electron in unit time

Correct. So if the density of electrons per unit area stays the same, and you have more cross-sectional area, what has to happen to the drift velocity in order to keep the same current value in the two conductors? (they are connected in series after all, so the current value will be the same in both)

drift velocity has to reduce

Correct. The current will be the same, since the two conductors are in series. Does that make sense? And since the current is constant, the drift velocity has to be less in the larger diameter conductor in order to keep the same number of charges passing by per unit time.

so the corect answer is none of these. right?

What's wrong with -2-? Please summarize what is wrong or right about each of the 4 options.

Sir,pl confirm

satishinamdar said:
Sir,pl confirm
Confirm what? Can you please try answering my question:
berkeman said:
What's wrong with -2-? Please summarize what is wrong or right about each of the 4 options.

What is the formula for calculating electricity flow with two conductors of different diameters?

The formula for calculating electricity flow with two conductors of different diameters is I1=I2*(A1/A2), where I1 is the current in conductor 1, I2 is the current in conductor 2, A1 is the cross-sectional area of conductor 1, and A2 is the cross-sectional area of conductor 2.

How do you determine the cross-sectional area of a conductor?

The cross-sectional area of a conductor can be determined by multiplying the radius (or diameter divided by 2) squared by pi (3.14). This will give you the area in square units.

What units should be used for the cross-sectional area in the formula?

The units for the cross-sectional area should be consistent with the units used for the current. For example, if the current is measured in amperes, the cross-sectional area should be measured in square meters.

What is the significance of using two conductors with different diameters?

Using two conductors with different diameters allows for a more efficient flow of electricity. This is because the larger conductor can handle a larger current without overheating, while the smaller conductor can handle a smaller current, resulting in a more balanced distribution of electricity.

How does the resistance of each conductor affect the calculation?

The resistance of each conductor does not affect the calculation directly. However, it is important to consider the resistance of each conductor when selecting the appropriate diameter for each conductor, as a higher resistance can lead to overheating and potential damage to the electrical system.