Electric charge vs. altitude - what energy is required?

In summary: The first stupid question is, will it also require energy to move the electrons upwards if the becoming negative charged plate is high up in the air while the becoming positive plate is on the ground? No, the electrical charge will move the electrons upwards.The second stupid question is, if the plates is discharged, will the discharge cause the electrons not only flow back to the positive plate, but also that gravity will cause the positive plate to be slightly negative when the discharge is finished? No, the discharge will not cause the positive plate to be slightly negative.
Low-Q
Gold Member
Hard to find a suitable title, but I have a simple question about electric charce and how a generator is affected by how high up one of the charged plates are:

If I want to charge two plates with +/- 100kV, then electrons are forced from one plate to the other, so one plate is positive, and the other plate is negative. The negative plate must become heavier, and the positive plate must be lighter. The charging itself will take energy.

The first stupid question here is, will it also require energy to move the electrons upwards if the becoming negative charged plate is high up in the air while the becoming positive plate is on the ground?

The second stupid question is, if the plates is discharged, will the discharge cause the electrons not only flow back to the positive plate, but also that gravity will cause the positive plate to be slightly negative when the discharge is finished?

See attached drawing with my thoughts written into it.

Attachments

• Charge.png
    Charge.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need to worry about gravity in your "generator". In any measurement there is going to be a margin of error. The difference in energy from gravity versus the difference in energy from electrical charge will be so small that it will get lost in any real world measurement. If necessary I am sure that you cold calculate the amount of energy it takes to lift an electron to that height, but since that energy would be swamped by the electrical energy I don't see why you would want to try to measure it.

I am just thinking experimentally - in principle. One electron weight 9.11 x 10^-28 grams, but there is quit many electrons that has to move from one place to another.
For example, how many more electrons must a negative pole have compared to the positive pole to measure 1V? Then it should be possible to calculate the "weight of 1V"(?).

Vidar

1. What is the relationship between electric charge and altitude?

The relationship between electric charge and altitude is complex and depends on various factors. However, generally speaking, as altitude increases, the electric charge decreases due to the decrease in air density and the buildup of static electricity in the atmosphere.

2. How does altitude affect the energy required for electric charge?

As altitude increases, the energy required for electric charge also increases. This is because at higher altitudes, there is less air to conduct electricity and the charge must travel a longer distance to reach its destination, requiring more energy.

3. Is there a specific formula to calculate the energy required for electric charge at different altitudes?

Yes, there are various formulas and equations that can be used to calculate the energy required for electric charge at different altitudes. These include the electric potential energy formula and the Coulomb's law formula.

4. Can the energy required for electric charge at different altitudes be measured?

Yes, the energy required for electric charge at different altitudes can be measured using specialized equipment such as voltmeters and ammeters. These devices can measure the voltage and current, which can then be used to calculate the energy using the appropriate formula.

5. Are there any practical applications for understanding the energy required for electric charge at different altitudes?

Yes, understanding the energy required for electric charge at different altitudes is important in various fields such as aviation, meteorology, and telecommunications. It can help in predicting and mitigating the effects of lightning strikes, as well as in the design of aircraft and communication systems that operate at high altitudes.