Exploring the Nature of Charge in Electrons and Protons

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of charge in modern physics and whether or not there is a deep explanation for it in electrons and protons. The discussion explores the definition of "deep" and "non-deep" explanations and how charge is described in the standard model and string theory. The concept of charge is also linked to Noether's theorem and the idea of symmetries in the Lagrangian. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement that further reading and study is necessary to fully understand the nature of charge in modern physics.
Behrouz
Is it right to say that 'modern physics has no deep explanation of the nature of charge' in electrons and protons?

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you distinguish between a "deep" and a "non-deep" explanation?

jtbell said:
How would you distinguish between a "deep" and a "non-deep" explanation?
:)
You're right.
So may I ask for any explanation exists, deep or non-deep.

According to standard model, electron is one of the elementary particles (electron is a lepton) and just has the charge it has symbolically -1. (cant go deeper than that).
Proton (again according to standard model) is a composite particle, consisting of 3 different kind of quarks,2 of the quarks (I think the up quark each one with different "color" ) have +2/3 charge each, while the down quark has -1/3. So total charge of proton is 2/3+2/3-1/3=+1. No deeper than that as far as I know.(the quarks are also elementary particles and just have the charge they have).

However I don't know how the charge of particles comes into play in String Theory, cause there the elementary elements are called strings and not exactly the same as particles.

Last edited:
One can derive the existence of electric charge and the equations of electromagnetism (Maxwell's equations) by assuming that quantum-mechanical fields have the property of local U(1) gauge symmetry. This is the simplest description that I can find:

http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node296.html

Most students don't study this until graduate school or maybe late undergraduate.

The weak and strong interactions can be generated from other local gauge symmetries, and are associated with their own kinds of "charge."

Behrouz said:
Is it right to say that 'modern physics has no deep explanation of the nature of charge' in electrons and protons?
As jtbell mentioned it depends largely on your definitions of "deep" and "nature". However, I would disagree with the statement and with my personal meanings for "deep" and "nature" I would point towards Noether's theorem.

One of the fundamental symmetries of the Lagrangian is the U(1) gauge symmetry. Per Noether's theorem a symmetry in the Lagrangian implies a corresponding conserved quantity. In this case the conserved quantity is a scalar field which we call charge.

Edit: I see jtbell was faster! And provided a reference.

Hello Dale, jtbell, and Delta2,
Thank you all for your kind replies. That will definitely help and I obviously have to read more about it since my initial understanding of charge was wrong.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Behrouz

1. What is charge?

Charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electrical force between particles. It can be positive or negative and is measured in units of coulombs (C).

2. How do electrons and protons differ in terms of charge?

Electrons and protons have opposite charges, with electrons having a negative charge and protons having a positive charge. The magnitude of their charges is equal, but they have opposite signs.

3. How is charge related to electricity?

Charge is the basis of electricity, as it is the movement of charged particles (usually electrons) that creates an electric current. The flow of electrons from a negatively charged object to a positively charged one is what we know as electricity.

4. What is the relationship between charge and mass for electrons and protons?

Electrons and protons have the same magnitude of charge, but their masses differ greatly. An electron has a mass that is approximately 1/1836th of a proton's mass, making it much lighter.

5. Can charge be created or destroyed?

No, charge cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred from one object to another. This is known as the law of conservation of charge, and it is a fundamental principle in the study of electricity and electromagnetism.