Electric Charges and Forces

To maintain overall charge neutrality, you must gain +e of charge as well.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an "electron pump" being used to suspend an individual in the air. The net force must be zero for the individual to remain suspended, and this is achieved by balancing the gravitational force with the electric force. The electric force is calculated using Coulomb's law, and the number of electrons needed to be moved from the metal plate to the individual can be calculated using the mass, distance, and charge of the individual. The individual must also have a positive charge in order to maintain overall charge neutrality.
dekoi
A small metal plate is bolted to the ceiling, and an "electron pump" is connected between the metal plate and yourself (mass of 60 kg). The pump starts pumping electrons from the metal plate to you.
How many electrons must be moved from the metal plate to you in order for you to hang suspended in the air 2.0 m below the ceiling? HINT: Assume that both you and the plate can be modeled as point charges.
My diagram is as such:
____
- - -

:smile:
_|__

The electrons move downward, toward me. However, I am confused as to where the charge is directed. Is it directed toward me or toward the metal plate? (Since charges move toward the negative charge.

So we have:
[tex]m = 60 kg[/tex]
[tex]r = 2.0 m[/tex]
[tex]q_e = 1.6 * 10^{-19} C[/tex]
[tex]k = 9 * 10^{9} \frac{Nm^2}{C^2}[/tex]
[tex]n = number of electrons[/tex]

The net force must be zero since I am suspended in the air at this point and am not moving, therefore:
[tex]F_{net}=F_q - F_g[/tex]
[tex]F_q = F_g[/tex]
[tex]\frac{kqn}{r^2} = mg[/tex]
[tex]n = \frac{mgr^2}{kq} = 1.6 * 10^{12} electrons[/tex]
However, this is the wrong answer.
The answer in the textbook is [tex]3.2 * 10^{15}[/tex]. What is wrong with my method?

Is there an electric force coming from myself also? If so, what is it?ALSO: If you happen to know anything about sound interference/light waves, please post in the other two threads started by my boyfriend, as he is in desperate need right now of answers but no one wants to reply to his threads for some reason. His posts are under the name "dekoi" also. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? .

dekoi said:
The net force must be zero since I am suspended in the air at this point and am not moving, therefore:
[tex]F_{net}=F_q - F_g[/tex]
[tex]F_q = F_g[/tex]
[tex]\frac{kqn}{r^2} = mg[/tex]
Your error is in applying Coulomb's law, which is:
[tex]F = \frac{k q_1 q_2}{r^2}[/tex]
(You only included one of the charges.)

I know that's where I am confused.
I don't know what the charge on myself is. At first I thought it was 0, since a human does not have a charge.
But then I thought that if the electrons are holding me up, then I must have a positive charge.
A positive charge equal to the electron charge?

That's what I don't know.

Nevermind

I got it.

My error was when I made the positive charge equal to the electron charge, I forgot to square the number of electrons, since it applies to both charges.

And the positive charge HAS to be equal to the electron charge or else I would not be in equilibrium. Right?

dekoi said:
My error was when I made the positive charge equal to the electron charge, I forgot to square the number of electrons, since it applies to both charges.
Right.
And the positive charge HAS to be equal to the electron charge or else I would not be in equilibrium. Right?
The reason the positive charge must equal the negative charge is due to the conservation of charge. For every electron moved, you gain -e of charge, but the plate (which loses the electron) gets +e of charge.

What is an electric charge and how is it measured?

An electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that can either be positive or negative. It is measured in coulombs (C) and can be detected and quantified using an instrument called an electroscope.

What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow easily through them, while insulators are materials that do not allow electric charges to flow through them easily. Metals are good conductors while rubber, glass, and plastic are good insulators.

What is an electric force and how is it calculated?

Electric force is the attraction or repulsion between two electrically charged objects. It is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Can electric charges be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of charge, electric charges cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one object to another. This means that the total amount of charge in a closed system remains constant.

What is an electric field and how is it represented?

An electric field is a region around a charged object where an electric force is exerted on other charged objects. It is represented by lines called electric field lines, which point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.