Electric Discharge Patterns: Coincidence or Controlled Pathways?

In summary: Not with a neon sign transformer I think.In summary, an electric discharge creates an arc, which follows an almost exact path down the length of the arc.
algaidaman
I have just now seen this long exposure photo on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_voltage" from an electric discharge. Is it just me or does it appear that each discharge is taking an almost exact path down the length of the arc.

I need to know if this is just a coincidence, and if not, what is causing this.

Attachments

• Electrostatic-discharge.jpg
    Electrostatic-discharge.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 434
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "an almost exact path down the length of the arc"?

What you're seeing is the electrons passing through a gas, exciting atomic transitions and causing the atoms to radiate. If there's a smoothly varying potential inside the chamber, then they of course would follow similar trajectories.

algaidaman said:
I have just now seen this long exposure photo on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_voltage" from an electric discharge. Is it just me or does it appear that each discharge is taking an almost exact path down the length of the arc.

I need to know if this is just a coincidence, and if not, what is causing this.
The first arc ionizes molecules in its path. Subsequent arcs would tend to follow this ionized path, giving similar shapes. A slight movement of the air would explain why the shapes move.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks to me like there must eb a pocket of air that didn't ionize, and the arc went around it. I would be interested to know in which direction (left-to-right or right-to-left) one must view these exposures in order to be seeing the arc's progress in chronological order. If right-to-left, then it looks as if the arc straightend out over time.

Does someone have a tesla coil and a camera (with long exposure) to try this? It would be cool to see the pictures with and without a fan on.

My former professor of electromagnetism had a funny and deadly device: two separating pieces of rigid metal wire going up in a kind of large V (height: about 30 cm, upper separation, about 15 or 20 cm). With a kind of tesla coil directly plugged on the mains (:bugeye:) the thing started sparking where the wires were close (down part of the V) and the arc created as such, heated the air, which moved the ionised path upward in the V until it made an almost half circle connected to the upper extremities of the V before breaking up, at which point a second arc started off down under at the V again...
One better didn't touch the metal wires !

algaidaman said:
Does someone have a tesla coil and a camera (with long exposure) to try this? It would be cool to see the pictures with and without a fan on.

You know you're in a community of physicsts when someone seriously asks if someone else has a tesla coil just lying around to play with.

vanesch said:
My former professor of electromagnetism had a funny and deadly device: two separating pieces of rigid metal wire going up in a kind of large V (height: about 30 cm, upper separation, about 15 or 20 cm). With a kind of tesla coil directly plugged on the mains (:bugeye:) the thing started sparking where the wires were close (down part of the V) and the arc created as such, heated the air, which moved the ionised path upward in the V until it made an almost half circle connected to the upper extremities of the V before breaking up, at which point a second arc started off down under at the V again...

It's called a Jacob's Ladder, and you can make one with a neon sign transformer. Once the arc is started across the small gap at the bottom, it will travel upwards (due to heated air) and expand. It was a favorite prop in hollywood in movies like Frankenstein with boris karloff.

marcusl said:
It's called a Jacob's Ladder, and you can make one with a neon sign transformer. Once the arc is started across the small gap at the bottom, it will travel upwards (due to heated air) and expand.

Not with a neon sign transformer I think.
It has too small current output to maintain stable arc traveling upwards.
Potential high voltage transformers are used for creating Jacob's Ladder effects.

vanesch said:
Matter of fact you don't have to touch them to be electrocuted.
Arcs can jump across sufficiently small gap between a body and a hot wire if the voltage is high enough.

1. What is electric discharge?

Electric discharge is the release of electricity from an object or material, usually in the form of a spark or lightning bolt. It occurs when there is a build-up of electric charge in an object or between two objects, and the charge is released suddenly.

2. What causes electric discharge?

Electric discharge is caused by a build-up of electric charge in an object or between two objects. This can happen through friction, contact with other charged objects, or changes in temperature or pressure. The discharge occurs to balance out the difference in electric charge between the objects.

3. Where can electric discharge be found?

Electric discharge can be found in many natural phenomena, such as lightning, sparks, and the aurora borealis. It can also be found in man-made devices, such as fluorescent lights, plasma TVs, and electric arc welders.

4. How is electric discharge used in technology?

Electric discharge has many practical applications in technology. It is used in fluorescent lights and neon signs to produce light, in plasma TVs to create images, and in electric arc welders to melt and join metals. It is also used in scientific research, such as in plasma physics experiments.

5. Is electric discharge dangerous?

Electric discharge can be dangerous if not handled properly. Lightning strikes, for example, can be deadly. In technology, high-voltage electric discharge can also be a safety hazard. However, with proper precautions and safety measures, electric discharge can be controlled and harnessed for useful purposes.