Electric Field between two plates with the same charge

In summary: No field lines from either plate will terminate on the other. Field lines are between surfaces of different charge only. Being able to draw the field of both plates? I don't think there are equations, just guidelines for understanding. All lines begin perpendicular and can not intersect.Thanks for your answer. Actually I'm not really familiar with these concept. So sorry if my questions look really basic.So, like you said, we don't have any field. now, imagine a positively charged particle passes through two positively charged plates. How can I write the energy balance for the motion of particle?Thanks.Oh man, you're going down a path I avoid like the plague. I hate those equations
sina_mech
Hi

I'm looking for a equation (or equations) needed to calculate the electric field between to plates with the same charge. For example, two plates with positive charge.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculating electric field strength between the plates? No field lines from either plate will terminate on the other. Field lines are between surfaces of different charge only.

Being able to draw the field of both plates? I don't think there are equations, just guidelines for understanding. All lines begin perpendicular and can not intersect.

Thanks for your answer. Actually I'm not really familiar with these concept. So sorry if my questions look really basic.

So, like you said, we don't have any field. now, imagine a positively charged particle passes through two positively charged plates. How can I write the energy balance for the motion of particle?

Thanks.

Oh man, you're going down a path I avoid like the plague. I hate those equations. First, you will have to determine the speed the particle is moving for it to have the energy to move towards two like charged plates.

Could you briefly give me some hints (and also names) of those equations? I think I need to solve some ODEs, I'm familiar with kinematic part (yes! mechanical engineer!) but honestly, I have no clue about the electrical part. :)

Thanks

Thanks Samon4.

This is the problem ( V is velocity, "a" is acceleration)

2qvum94.jpg

If there's nothing else in the universe, there's no field between two plates with the same charge.

sina_mech said:
Hi

I'm looking for a equation (or equations) needed to calculate the electric field between to plates with the same charge. For example, two plates with positive charge.

Any help is appreciated.
Can you (1) figure out the field due to a single plate, and (2) use the principle of superposition when there are two plates?

FAQ: Electric Field between two plates with the same charge

1. What is an electric field between two plates with the same charge?

An electric field between two plates with the same charge is a region in space where an electric force is exerted on charged particles. In this case, the two plates have equal and opposite charges, creating an electric field between them.

2. How is the electric field strength between two plates with the same charge calculated?

The electric field strength between two plates with the same charge is calculated using the formula E = Q/Aε, where E is the electric field strength, Q is the charge on the plates, A is the area of the plates, and ε is the permittivity of the medium between the plates.

3. What is the direction of the electric field between two plates with the same charge?

The direction of the electric field between two plates with the same charge is from the positive plate to the negative plate. This is because the electric field lines always point from positive charges to negative charges.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the electric field strength?

The electric field strength between two plates with the same charge is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the electric field strength decreases.

5. Can the electric field between two plates with the same charge be uniform?

Yes, the electric field between two plates with the same charge can be made uniform by ensuring that the plates are parallel and the distance between them is constant. This will result in the electric field having the same strength and direction at all points between the plates.

Back