Electric field calculation

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field at the center of curvature P caused by a uniformly distributed positive charge Q around a semicircle of radius a. By dividing the semicircle into infinitesimal pieces and integrating, the electric field in the y-direction is found to be -2kQ/a^2pi, with the direction being negative.
espen180

Homework Statement

Positive charge Q is uniformly distributed around a semicircle of radius a (See fig). Find the electric field (magnitude and direction) at the center of curvature P.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8278/electricfield1.png

Homework Equations

Electric field of point charge:
[tex]\vec{E}=k\frac{Q}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I suspect the linear charge distribution [tex]\lambda=\frac{Q}{\pi a}[/tex] will be troublesome to wirk with here, I will define the angular charge distribution [tex]\alpha=\frac{Q}{\pi}[/tex], divide the semicircle into infinitisimal pieces, calculate the electric field for each one and integrate.

Since each piece is a distance [tex]a[/tex] away from point [tex]P[/tex], the electric field caused by each piece is [tex]dE=k\frac{dQ}{a^2}[/tex]. [tex]dQ=\alpha d\theta=\frac{Q d\theta}{\pi}[/tex], so [tex]dE=k\frac{Qd\theta}{a^2\pi}[/tex].

By symmetry, the total electric field in the x-direction is zero, so I only have to find the field in the y-direction, which is given by [tex]dE_y=dE\cdot \sin \theta=\frac{kQ}{a^2\pi}\sin\theta d\theta[/tex].

Integrating from [tex]\theta=0[/tex] to [tex]\theta=\pi[/tex], the result is
[tex]E_y=\frac{kQ}{a^2\pi}\int_0^\pi \sin\theta d\theta=\frac{kQ}{a^2\pi}\left[-\cos\theta\right]_0^\pi=\frac{2kQ}{a^2\pi}[/tex].

Since Q is positive, the field is in the negative y-direction.

[tex]\vec{E_P}=-\frac{2kQ}{a^2\pi}\hat{j}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you've done looks perfect to me... any particular reason for asking about it?

I've done this sort of problem a number of times with straight lines, and the book did not have an answer key for this paticular problem. I was just wondering if I had the correct answer.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force that would be exerted on a charged particle at any given point in space. It is represented by a vector, with direction pointing towards the direction of the force and magnitude representing the strength of the force.

2. How is the electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated using the formula E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force exerted on the particle, and q is the charge of the particle. This formula can be used for point charges or for continuous distributions of charges using calculus.

3. What units are used to measure electric field?

The SI unit for electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). However, it can also be expressed in Volts per meter (V/m) or in CGS units of statvolts per centimeter (statV/cm).

4. How does distance affect electric field?

The electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charged particles. This means that as the distance between two particles increases, the electric field between them decreases. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law.

5. What are some applications of electric field calculations?

Electric field calculations are used in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry. They are essential in understanding and designing electrical circuits, predicting the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields, and in studying the interactions between molecules in chemical reactions.