1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field calculation

1. Jun 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Positive charge Q is uniformly distributed around a semicircle of radius a (See fig). Find the electric field (magnitude and direction) at the center of curvature P.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8278/electricfield1.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

Electric field of point charge:
    [tex]\vec{E}=k\frac{Q}{r^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Since I suspect the linear charge distribution [tex]\lambda=\frac{Q}{\pi a}[/tex] will be troublesome to wirk with here, I will define the angular charge distribution [tex]\alpha=\frac{Q}{\pi}[/tex], divide the semicircle into infinitisimal pieces, calculate the electric field for each one and integrate.

Since each piece is a distance [tex]a[/tex] away from point [tex]P[/tex], the electric field caused by each piece is [tex]dE=k\frac{dQ}{a^2}[/tex]. [tex]dQ=\alpha d\theta=\frac{Q d\theta}{\pi}[/tex], so [tex]dE=k\frac{Qd\theta}{a^2\pi}[/tex].

By symmetry, the total electric field in the x-direction is zero, so I only have to find the field in the y-direction, which is given by [tex]dE_y=dE\cdot \sin \theta=\frac{kQ}{a^2\pi}\sin\theta d\theta[/tex].

Integrating from [tex]\theta=0[/tex] to [tex]\theta=\pi[/tex], the result is
    [tex]E_y=\frac{kQ}{a^2\pi}\int_0^\pi \sin\theta d\theta=\frac{kQ}{a^2\pi}\left[-\cos\theta\right]_0^\pi=\frac{2kQ}{a^2\pi}[/tex].

Since Q is positive, the field is in the negative y-direction.

[tex]\vec{E_P}=-\frac{2kQ}{a^2\pi}\hat{j}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

What you've done looks perfect to me... any particular reason for asking about it?

4. Jun 16, 2009 #3
    I've done this sort of problem a number of times with straight lines, and the book did not have an answer key for this paticular problem. I was just wondering if I had the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook