Electric Field Due to a Point Charge

In summary, the net electric field at x=70 cm is zero due to the fact that the charges on the particles are equal and opposite.
Wables

Homework Statement

Two particles are fixed to an x axis: particle 1 of charge q1= 2.1 * 10^-8 and particle 2 of charge q2= -4.00q1 at x=70 cm. At what coordinate on the axis is the net electric field produced by the particles equal to zero?

Homework Equations

Enet = E1 + E2
E=F/q
F=k q1q/r2
Let q = point charge in the above formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

Enet = E1 + E2 = 0
E1 = -E2

k q1/r12 = -k q2/r22
q1/r12 = q2/r22

At this point I thought I should try to isolate for one of the r values and plug it into a second equation to solve for one of the r values. But there is no other equation I can use to set up a system of equations... or is there? I am stuck here.

All help appreciated,
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Wables! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
Wables said:
At this point I thought I should try to isolate for one of the r values and plug it into a second equation to solve for one of the r values. But there is no other equation I can use to set up a system of equations... or is there?

you need an equation relating r1 and r2 :wink:

use r1 + r2 = x = 70 cm

Thanks for the welcome.

r1+x=20
r2+x=70

I can use these! Ooooh!

Okay, so:

q1/r12=q2/r22
=> (q1/q2)(1/2)r2=r1

Let (q1/q2)(1/2) = z

r2+x=70
=> r2=70-x

r1+x=20
=> zr2 + x = 20
=> z(70-x) + x = 20
=> x-zx = 20 - 70z

But z is a root of a negative number...?

Hi Wables! :smile:
Wables said:
q1/r12=q2/r22

No.

Did you draw a diagram?

You need a minus in there, don't you? :wink:

OH! Haha thanks for catching that. Okay. Thanks for your help, this question was really bugging me! :)

1. What is an electric field due to a point charge?

The electric field due to a point charge is a measure of the force exerted on a charged particle at a point in space. It is a vector quantity and is defined as the electric force per unit positive charge.

2. How is the electric field due to a point charge calculated?

The electric field due to a point charge can be calculated using the equation E = k*q/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge to the point in space where the electric field is being measured.

3. What is the direction of the electric field due to a point charge?

The direction of the electric field due to a point charge is radially outward from a positive charge and radially inward towards a negative charge. This means that the electric field lines will point away from a positive charge and towards a negative charge.

4. How does the electric field due to a point charge vary with distance?

The electric field due to a point charge follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases as the distance from the point charge increases. This means that the electric field will be stronger closer to the point charge and weaker further away.

5. What are the units of electric field due to a point charge?

The SI unit of electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C), which can also be written as Volts per meter (V/m). This unit represents the amount of force per unit charge experienced by a charged particle in the electric field.