Electric field from very long wire

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the distance from a very long straight wire with a charge of 1.5 * 10^-10 C/m where the electric field magnitude is equal to 2.5 N/C. The person suggests using integration to solve the problem, but is unsure of which points to integrate from. Another person suggests using Gauss's Law.
Eats Dirt

Homework Statement

A very long straight wire has a charge of 1.5 * 10^-10 C/m. at what distance from the wire is the electric field magnitude equal to 2.5 N/C

Homework Equations

I was thinking about intergrating the electric field?

The Attempt at a Solution

the thing I am having a problem with if i attempt to integrate the field is from which point to which point to integrate to? negative infinite to infinite? like usually i just do this with algebra and no number to solve for say to integrate the field from -a to a but in the end A is still in the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eats Dirt said:

Homework Statement

A very long straight wire has a charge of 1.5 * 10^-10 C/m. at what distance from the wire is the electric field magnitude equal to 2.5 N/C

Homework Equations

I was thinking about integrating the electric field?

The Attempt at a Solution

the thing I am having a problem with if i attempt to integrate the field is from which point to which point to integrate to? negative infinite to infinite? like usually i just do this with algebra and no number to solve for say to integrate the field from -a to a but in the end A is still in the equation.
Do you know Gauss's Law ?

1. What is an electric field from a very long wire?

An electric field from a very long wire is a region of space around a wire where electrically charged particles experience a force. This force is caused by the presence of an electric charge on the wire, which creates an electric field in the surrounding space.

2. How is the electric field from a very long wire calculated?

The electric field from a very long wire can be calculated using the equation E = λ/2πεr, where E is the electric field strength, λ is the linear charge density of the wire, ε is the permittivity of the surrounding medium, and r is the distance from the wire.

3. What direction does the electric field from a very long wire point?

The electric field from a very long wire points radially outward from the wire, in a direction perpendicular to the wire. This means that the electric field lines are straight and extend outward in all directions from the wire.

4. How does the strength of the electric field from a very long wire change with distance?

The strength of the electric field from a very long wire decreases with distance according to the inverse square law. This means that the farther away from the wire you are, the weaker the electric field will be.

5. How does the presence of other objects or charges affect the electric field from a very long wire?

The presence of other objects or charges can affect the electric field from a very long wire. These objects or charges can either strengthen or weaken the electric field, depending on their distance and the direction of their electric field lines relative to the wire.