Electric Field Location problem?

In summary, the problem asked to find the spot where the total electric field is 0 on a line passing through a +ve and a -ve point charge. After considering the possible answers and using the information from class notes, it was determined that the correct answer is B) To the left of the positive charge. This is because, when placing a positive test charge along the line, the only spot where the forces balance out and the electric field is 0 is to the left of the +ve charge.
Blue Crayon
Hey guys I'm reviewing my notes and I noticed their was a multiple choice problem in my notes that looking back now I just don't understand.

The problem is:
The drawing shows a +ve and a -ve point charge. The -ve charge has the greater magnitude. Where on the line that passes through the charges is the one spot where the total electric field is 0.
c18_q_13.gif

Possible Answers:
A. To the right of the negative charge
B. To the left of the positive charge
C. Between the charges, to the left of the midpoint
D. Between the charges, to the right of the midpoint
----

Looking at this I eliminate A and D right away and honestly my gut feeling then becomes to use C as the way I think of it is the mid point could have to move closer to the +ve charge to balance it out and make it 0. Maybe I am thinking of this all in the wrong sense. Anyways the answer is definitely B as that is what I have circled from my class notes. If someone could explain to me in layman's terms what I am missing I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

- BlueCrayon

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a spot between the charges where the potential is zero, but there is no spot where the E-field is zero. Imagine putting a small positive test charge along the line between the charges. No matter where I put it, it will move to the right, since the + charge repels it and the - charge attracts it. The only place the forces balance (meaning the _field is zero) is to the left of the + charge, where the repulsion of the + charge is directed to the left, and the attraction of the - charge is directed to the right.

1. What is an electric field location problem?

An electric field location problem is a type of scientific problem that involves determining the location and strength of an electric field in a given space. Electric fields are created by the presence of charged particles and can be influenced by various factors such as the distance between the particles and the type of material they are in.

2. How is an electric field location problem solved?

An electric field location problem can be solved by using mathematical equations and principles from the field of electromagnetism. These equations take into account factors such as the magnitude and direction of the electric field, the distance between charged particles, and the properties of the surrounding materials.

3. What are some real-world applications of electric field location problems?

Electric field location problems have many practical applications, such as in the design and optimization of electronic devices, the study of atmospheric phenomena like lightning, and in medical imaging techniques like electrocardiograms (ECGs) and electroencephalograms (EEGs).

4. Are there any limitations or challenges when solving electric field location problems?

One of the main challenges when solving electric field location problems is the complexity of the equations and calculations involved. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by factors such as the presence of other electric or magnetic fields, and the shape and composition of the objects in the given space.

5. How can electric field location problems be used to improve our daily lives?

Understanding and solving electric field location problems can lead to advancements in technology, such as more efficient and reliable electronic devices, and better medical diagnostic tools. It can also help us better understand and predict natural phenomena like lightning strikes, which can improve safety measures in affected areas.