Electric field of a circular plate with non uniform charge density.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
loops496
Messages
24
Reaction score
3
Hey!

I need to calculate the electric field on the axis of a circular plate of radius a with the following charge distribution:
[tex]\sigma_0 \frac{r^2}{a^2} \delta (z), \; r\leq a[/tex][tex]0, \; r>a[/tex]
where [itex]\sigma_0[/itex] is a constant.
I've already calculated the potential and taken its gradient to get the field, which is only in z and its given by,
[tex]E_z = \frac{\sigma_0}{2 \epsilon_0 a^2} \left[\frac{4}{3}z \sqrt{a^2+z^2}- 2z \sqrt{z^2} - \frac{z(a^2 - 2z^2)}{3 \sqrt{a^2+z^2}}\right][/tex]

Now I have to take the approximation [itex]z>>a[/itex] and describe the field. Intuitively it should be the like the field of a point charge, but i can not get the [itex]1/r^2[/itex] dependence after the approximation.
Is there something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You just need to approximate your right hand side. Taking just the square brackets, it is equal to:
\begin{align}
&\frac{4}{3}z^2\sqrt{1+\frac{a^2}{z^2}}-2z^2-\frac{2z^2\left(\frac{a^2}{2z^2}-1\right)}{3\sqrt{\frac{a^2}{z^2}+1}}\simeq \frac{4}{3}z^2\left(1+\frac{a^2}{2z^2}\right)-2z^2-\frac{2}{3}z^2\left(1-\frac{a^2}{2z^2}\right)\left(1-\frac{a^2}{2z^2}\right) \\
&=-\frac{2}{3}z^2+\frac{2}{3}a^2+\frac{2}{3}z^2-\frac{2}{3}a^2+\frac{a^4}{6z^2}=\frac{a^4}{6z^2},
\end{align}
and so your field is:
\begin{align}
E_z\simeq \frac{\sigma_0a^2}{12\epsilon_0z^2}.
\end{align}
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person