Electric Field of a Long Charged Ribbon

In summary, the problem involves determining the electric field at two different points (x, 0, 0) and (0, y, 0) due to a long uniformly charged ribbon in the x-z plane. To solve for the electric field, Gauss' Law and the equation for the electric field due to a surface charge are used to set up integrals, which are then evaluated to obtain the final answers.
mr.hood

Homework Statement

A long uniformly charged ribbon is located in the x-z plane, parallel to the z axis, occupying the region -[tex]\infty[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\infty[/tex] and -a/2 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] a/2. The charge per unit area on the ribbon is [tex]\sigma[/tex]. a) Determine [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] at (x,0,0) where x > a/2. b) Determine [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] at (0,y,0) where y > 0.

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm split on part (a). My intuition tells me that symmetry should make the electric field point only in the [tex]\underline{+}[/tex]y direction, with no component in the [tex]\underline{+}[/tex]x direction. But is this wrong? Should I make a Gaussian surface (say, a box or a cylinder pointing in the x direction) that straddles the edge of the ribbon to test for flux in the x direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There will be an E-field in the x-direction for part (a).

Have you looked at the field of a uniformly charged line or wire? You could use that. You'll also need to do an integral.

p.s. welcome to PF!

Gauss's law is only useful for planar geometries when the plane either extends to infinity, or you are only looking for the field far from the edges of the plane. Does the ribbon qualify?

Ok, so I guess I can treat the ribbon like a line of charge when I'm looking at it from a point on the x-axis... And is it safe to assume I should integrate across the width of the ribbon as well, because of the contributions of all the charge "behind" the edge I'm looking at? I would think I should do the same for part (b), i.e. treat the ribbon as a collection of infinitely long wires and integrate across the width?

Also, good point about Gauss' law. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
Well it's actually a surface charge instead of a line charge; so yes you will have to integrate over both x and y. Remember, for a surface charge [itex]\sigma(\vec{r'})[/itex] you have:

[tex]\vec{E}(\vec{r})=\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int_{\mathcal{S}} \frac{\sigma(\vec{r'})da'}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|^2} \widehat{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|}[/tex]

mr.hood said:
... treat the ribbon as a collection of infinitely long wires and integrate across the width?

Yes, exactly. For both (a) and (b).

edit:
This method assumes you know E for a charged wire ...

Easy enough, thanks for the help!

Edit: Haha not so easy I guess... I set up the following integral (for part (a)):

[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{2\sigma}{4\pi\epsilon_{o}a}\int^{-a/2}_{a/2}\frac{dx}{x}\hat{x}[/tex]

When I integrate the 1/x from a/2 to -a/2, I of course get zero. Is my integrand incorrect? Note that the integrand I picked is the electric field of an infinite wire (with sigma/a as the charge density).

Last edited:
Scrap that last post, I treated this problem with sort of a surface integral and got an answer (an admittedly strange-looking one):

First I used the equation:

[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{o}} \int_{S}\frac{\sigma(\vec{r'})}{r^{2}}\hat{r}da'[/tex]

Part (a): [tex]\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{o}}\int^{a/2}_{-a/2}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\sigma dz'dx'}{z'^{2}+(x-x')^{2}}cos(\theta)\hat{x}[/tex]

where [tex]z'^{2}+(x-x')^{2}[/tex] is r2, and

[tex]cos(\theta) = \frac{x-x'}{\sqrt{z'^{2}+(x-x')^{2}}}[/tex]

In this case, x' is the distance from the center of the ribbon (x=0) to my area element, and x-x' is the distance from the area element to the x-coordinate of the point in question, while z' is the z distance from the origin to the area element.

I took a similar approach to part (b):

[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{o}}\int^{a/2}_{-a/2}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\sigma dz'dx'}{x'^{2}+y'^{2}+z'^{2}}cos(\theta)\hat{y}[/tex]

and

[tex]cos(\theta) = \frac{y'}{\sqrt{x'^{2}+y'^{2}+z'^{2}}}[/tex]

where y' is just the y-distance from the ribbon.

Anyway you can imagine what the integration looks like... and in my final answers I get some logs, which I thought was strange. Do you think these approaches are sensible?

Last edited:
Looks reasonable to me.

The line charge idea will work too, but your integrand should be:

dx' / (x-x')

And there is no "a" term in the denominator out front (linear charge density is σdx)

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles. It exerts a force on other charged particles within its vicinity.

What is a long charged ribbon?

A long charged ribbon is a thin, elongated object that carries a uniform distribution of electric charge along its length. It can be thought of as a long, thin wire with a constant charge per unit length.

How is the electric field of a long charged ribbon calculated?

The electric field of a long charged ribbon can be calculated using the formula E = λ/2πε₀r, where λ is the linear charge density (charge per unit length), ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the ribbon.

What is the direction of the electric field of a long charged ribbon?

The electric field of a long charged ribbon points away from the ribbon on either side, and is perpendicular to the ribbon's length. This means that the electric field lines are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the ribbon's surface.

How does the electric field of a long charged ribbon change with distance?

The electric field of a long charged ribbon follows an inverse relationship with distance. This means that as distance from the ribbon increases, the electric field decreases. However, the electric field remains constant along the length of the ribbon.