Electric field of coax cable problem

In summary, the problem involves a coaxial cable with a charged inner conductor and a surrounding oppositely charged conductor. Using Gauss's Law and the equation for the area of a cylinder, the radius of the Gaussian surface is found to be 0.004457 m. However, the calculation for the electric field, using the equation E= q_enc / E_o * A, gives a value of 5.58 x 10^11 V/m. Further assistance may be needed to find the correct solution.
Punchlinegirl
A coaxial cable has a charged inner conductor, with charge 8.3 [tex] \mu C [/tex] and radius 2.917 mm, and a surrounding oppositely charged conductor, with charge -8.3 [tex] \mu C [/tex] and radius 5.997 mm. Assume the region between the conductors is air and neglect end effects. The length of the cable is 60 m. What is the magnitude of the electric field halfway between the two cylindrical conductors. Answer in units of V/m.
I got help with this problem, but it still isn't working out. We used Gauss's Law. To find the radius of the Gaussian surface, we used R-r/2 + r.
So .005997 - .002917 /2 + .002917 = .004457
Then to get the E, you do [tex] q_e_n_c / E_o *A [/tex]
With the area of a cylinder= [tex] 2\pi r^2 + 2\pi *r*h [/tex]
So [tex] 8.3 x 10^-6 / 8.85 x 10^-12 *(2\pi (.004457)^2 + 2 \pi * (.004457)(60))
Which gave me 5.58 x 10^11, which isn't right.. can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so the equation that this page gives for the E-field is
[tex] E= \lambda / 2\pi * E_o * r [/tex], but since the charge isn't uniform, I don't think I can use it...

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged object has on other charged objects in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is a coaxial cable?

A coaxial cable is a type of electrical cable that has a central conductor, surrounded by an insulating layer, which is then surrounded by a conducting shield. This design allows for efficient transmission of electrical signals with minimal interference.

How is the electric field of a coax cable calculated?

The electric field of a coaxial cable is calculated using the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the voltage across the cable, and d is the distance between the central conductor and the conducting shield.

Why is the electric field of a coax cable important?

The electric field of a coaxial cable is important because it determines the strength and quality of the electrical signal being transmitted. It also affects the performance and efficiency of electronic devices that use coaxial cables.

What factors can affect the electric field of a coax cable?

The electric field of a coaxial cable can be affected by the voltage and distance between the central conductor and the conducting shield, as well as the materials and dimensions of the cable. Interference from external electrical fields can also impact the electric field of a coax cable.