1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field on cyilnder

1. Mar 25, 2015 #1
    Hi!

I would like to create an electric field inside a cylinder. Is there any EXPERIMENTAL way to impose 120V DC (or any higher or lower) voltage on the surface of a cylinder and generate electric field inside it?

I'm specifically looking for "experimental" approaches.

Thank you very much :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Look up "cylindrical capacitor" for an example.

The question is actually too general to answer properly, i.e. you can put an electric field inside a cylinder the same way you put one anywhere else.
    You have not said what the cylinder is made of - you can always, for eg. , embed charges in a cylinder made of an insulating material.
    You have not specified the dimensions of the cylinder ... or if it is hollow or what.

Don't know what you mean by "experimental approach" - is this different from just building one?

What is this for?

4. Mar 25, 2015 #3
    the material is stainless steel. the hollow cylinder (tube) already exist and we would like to impose electric field inside it.

5. Mar 25, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Dimensions? What sort of (geometry etc) field - can you describe what you are after?
    To give you an idea how wide open your question is: shine light into the cylinder and there is an electric field in it; put any electric circuit in it, same; put an atom in it... so you see it would help to narrow it down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook