Electric Field on two non-parallel plates

In summary, the electric field is typically straight when plates are arranged in parallel, but becomes curved when they are angled. This is due to the principle that the electric field lines must be perpendicular to the surface of electric potential, which applies even to non-parallel plates. This causes the electric field to emanate perpendicularly from the plate, resulting in a curved field. This can be proven through a proof by contradiction.
Seydlitz
Why the electric field is in fact curved in that configuration? I'm just a little bit confused because normally if the plates were arranged parallel the electric field were perfectly straight, the electric field of infinite plane is also straight. Why then suddenly when the plates are angled the electric field became curved?

On what principle could I infer this from without calculating anything?

Thank You

Edit: By non-parallel in my case, the plates are arranged forming a V.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The lines that represent equal field strength have to be perpendicular to the plates at the point of intersection? Is that true? If so, why is it so? Perhaps that is the key to answering your question.
DC

DarioC said:
The lines that represent equal field strength have to be perpendicular to the plates at the point of intersection? Is that true? If so, why is it so? Perhaps that is the key to answering your question.
DC

I'm sorry but I don't think I understand your statement. Could you rephrase it in someway, perhaps in reference to familiar examples like electric dipole or point charges?

Edit: What I know already is the electric field line must always be perpendicular to the surface of electric potential, and hence conductor but I can't get my mind to relate this concept to the non-parallel plates. Moreover, it seems the electric field cannot be solved analytically also.

---

Ahhh!

I think I know what you mean. Because of that reasoning the electric field must emanate perpendicularly to the plate. Hence, it would be impossible for it to have a straight field like if they were to be arranged in parallel. In the end the electric field will be curved. Does my crude prove by contradiction reasoning correct? :D

Last edited:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its range. It can be described as the strength and direction of the force that a charged particle would experience if placed in that field.

2. What are non-parallel plates?

Non-parallel plates refer to two conducting plates that are not parallel to each other, meaning they are not aligned in the same direction. This creates an electric field that varies in strength and direction between the two plates.

3. How is the electric field on two non-parallel plates calculated?

The electric field on two non-parallel plates can be calculated using the formula E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference between the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. This formula assumes that the plates are large compared to the distance between them and that the electric field is uniform between the plates.

4. What is the significance of the electric field on two non-parallel plates?

The electric field on two non-parallel plates can be used to manipulate and control the movement of charged particles between the plates. It is also used in various applications such as particle accelerators, capacitors, and electronic devices.

5. How does the distance between the plates affect the electric field?

The electric field between two non-parallel plates is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the electric field decreases. This relationship is important to consider when designing and using devices that utilize non-parallel plates.