What is the electric field at the end of a thin rod with a distributed charge?

In summary, the electric field at the end of a thin rod with length 100 cm and charge 37 nC is proportional to the square of the distance from the end, λ=kx^2.
thetest

Homework Statement

Thin rod AB has length l=100 cm and total charge q0=37 nC that is distributed in such a way that its line density λ is proportional to the square of the distance from the end A, i.e. λ(x) =kx2. Determine electric field E at the end A of the rod.

Homework Equations

E = kq/r^2, λ = Q/l, dq = λdl

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing substituting the line density into the integral of the electric field making: dE = kλdl/r^2 and then I get stuck because if I try to make r = x then the line density will cancel with the x^2 and leaving just the K and I don't know what K is or how to solve for it. If someone can help me with this problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are told explicitly, [tex]\lambda = kx^2[/tex]
So stating [tex]\lambda =\frac{Q}{\ell}[/tex] is a mistake!

The total charge is a quantity you need to determine the numerical value of [tex]k[/tex]

RoyalCat said:
You are told explicitly, [tex]\lambda = kx^2[/tex]
So stating [tex]\lambda =\frac{Q}{\ell}[/tex] is a mistake!

The total charge is a quantity you need to determine the numerical value of [tex]k[/tex]

Oh okay. Then if dE = kλdx/r^2, is it valid to say that r = l/2 to have dE = kλdx/(l^2/4) the integral from 0 to l? How are we suppose to find the value of k if we can't relate the λ with Q and l?

You know that [tex]\frac{dq}{dx}=\lambda[/tex]
Therefore, [tex]Q_{total}=\int^{\ell}_0 \lambda dx[/tex]

Last edited:
So therefore Q total = l which is 100cm so then k in λ=kx^2 equals 100? Also how does that help me simply the integral from 0 to l of dE = kλdx/r^2?

Due to a typo in the TeX, the lambda didn't show up in the integral. Don't take everything you're told by fiat. Think things through. What I posted earlier was nonsense. I said that the total charge is the length of the rod. That's gibberish.

Please think the problem through, I've given you all the help you should require. Just on a final note, I suggest you use [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}[/tex] for the constant in Coloumb's Law, since k is already taken, and has a different meaning in this exercise.
Best of luck. :)

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of electric charges on other charges in the surrounding space. It is represented by electric field lines and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is the direction of an electric field determined?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. It is always in the direction of the force that would act on a positive charge.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric field?

The formula for calculating electric field is E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm²/C²), Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

4. How does the strength of an electric field change with distance?

The strength of an electric field decreases with distance from the source charge according to the inverse square law. This means that as distance increases, the electric field strength decreases by the square of the distance.

5. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field and electric potential are related but distinct concepts. Electric field describes the force that a charge experiences in the presence of other charges, while electric potential describes the potential energy that a charge has due to its position in an electric field. In other words, electric field is a vector quantity while electric potential is a scalar quantity.