Electric field slab, nonuniform charge density

In summary, the question discusses the use of Gauss's Law to determine the electric field of a non-conducting slab with a given charge density. Two different configurations are considered, one with a Gaussian surface encompassing the entire slab and one with a smaller surface located outside the slab. The solution involves calculating the charge enclosed within the surface and using the equation E = Q/ε0 to find the electric field. The question of whether the electric field depends on the method of calculation is brought up, but it is not addressed in the given conversation.
AKJ1

Homework Statement

A rather large non conducting slab of area A and thickness d has a charge density given by ρ = αx2.
The origin is through the center of the slab. That is, it bisects the slab into two equal volumes of d/2 thickness and with an area A, with -L/2 to the left of x=0 and L/2 to the right of x=0.

A. Gaussian surface (Cylinder) is positioned such that its volume encompasses the charge contained within the slab. Apply Gauss's Law to the cylinder to determine the electric field to the left and to the right of the slab.

B. Consider another cylinder that is located such that its left face at x = 0 and its right face is outside the slab at x>L/2. Apply Gauss's Law to determine the electric field to the right of the slab.

Homework Equations

E⋅dA = Qenc / ε0

ρ = Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

A.
[/B]
dq = ρdV = (αx2)(Adx) [ I integrated this from 0→L/2]

Q = (AαL3 )/ 24

E is constant for this configuration

EA = Q/ε0

E = αL3/ (24ε0)

Now I realize I need to take into account the other half of the slab and the "domain" on x. That is, it will be in the positive x hat direction for x > 0. But this is my question..

B.

When I went to do part B, I don't see how my set-up or my solution will change much from the above. In fact, I got the same magnitude for the electric field.

Did I make a mistake somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the electric field due to an assembly of charge depend on the method used to calcukate it?

Simon Bridge said:
Does the electric field due to an assembly of charge depend on the method used to calcukate it?

Good point :smile:

1. What is an electric field slab?

An electric field slab refers to a region of space with a uniform electric field, created by a flat slab of charge. This slab can be made of any material, as long as it has a nonuniform charge density.

2. How is the electric field intensity calculated in a nonuniform charge density slab?

The electric field intensity in a nonuniform charge density slab can be calculated by taking the derivative of the electric potential with respect to the distance. This is known as the gradient of the electric potential and is represented by the symbol E.

3. What is the difference between a uniform and nonuniform charge density in an electric field slab?

A uniform charge density means that the charge is evenly distributed throughout the slab, while a nonuniform charge density means that the charge is not evenly distributed. This creates a nonuniform electric field within the slab.

4. How does the shape of the slab affect the electric field in a nonuniform charge density slab?

The shape of the slab can affect the electric field by changing the distribution of the charge. For example, a cone-shaped slab will have a different electric field than a rectangular slab with the same charge distribution.

5. What are some real-world applications of nonuniform charge density slabs?

Nonuniform charge density slabs have various applications in industries such as electric power distribution, capacitors, and semiconductors. They are also used in research and experiments to study the behavior of electric fields in different shapes and materials.