1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field strength before reaching the state of electrostatic equilibrium

1. Nov 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In such a picture,
    http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af335/hectoryx/electrostaticequilibrium_1.jpg
    Induced charges will emergence on the left and right side of non-perfect conductor B, because the effect of the electric field of conductor A.
    As is known to all, when non-perfect conductor B is placed into the electric field of conductor A, it needs a time to reach the state of electrostatic equilibrium. We call it relaxation time.
    My question is what the electric field strength near the right side of B is, and what its changing trend is, before B reaches the state of electrostatic equilibrium.

3. The attempt at a solution

In my opinion, the electric field strength near the right side of B will increase gradually. When it reaches the state of electrostatic equilibrium, the electric field strength reaches its maximum value. Am I right?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Hector

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted