How Do You Calculate the Electric Field from a Charged Cone?

In summary, the problem is to find the electric field at a distance 'a' from the end of a solid cone uniform charge volume. The equation is derived using the integral, dq = Pdv, where dv = (pi)(y)(dy) and A = (pi)(y). The starting integral has limits from 0 to b and is equal to (k)(p)(pi)(y)(dy) divided by (b+a-y)^2. The cone is around the y-axis with a total length of b and a point 'a' above the cone. The constant k is used and pi is derived from the area of pix^2. The variable p represents rho, the charge density, and dy is used because the cone
I-aM-Lost

Homework Statement

Electric field at a distance 'a' from the end of a solid uniform charge volume

dq = Pdv
dv = (pi)(y)(dy)
A = (pi)(y)
dE = f(dq)

Homework Equations

What is the starting integral

The Attempt at a Solution

limits from 0 to b

(k)(p)(pi)(y)(dy)
E = --------------------
(b+a-y)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
I-aM-Lost said:

Homework Statement

Electric field at a distance 'a' from the end of a solid uniform charge volume

dq = Pdv
dv = (pi)(y)(dy)
A = (pi)(y)
dE = f(dq)

Homework Equations

What is the starting integral

The Attempt at a Solution

limits from 0 to b

(k)(p)(pi)(y)(dy)
E = --------------------
(b+a-y)^2
You'll have to provide a better problem description than that if you want to receive any meaningful help. As it stands I can sort of understand that you want to integrate over a charge distribution and determine the resulting electric field at some point.

But I have no idea what the shape of the distribution is, so I can't check your setup in any way. Also, you didn't actually ask a question, merely presented some work.

gneill said:
You'll have to provide a better problem description than that if you want to receive any meaningful help. As it stands I can sort of understand that you want to integrate over a charge distribution and determine the resulting electric field at some point.

But I have no idea what the shape of the distribution is, so I can't check your setup in any way. Also, you didn't actually ask a question, merely presented some work.

Sorry I forgot to add all the question. Find the electric field at a distance 'a' from the end of a solid cone uniform charge volume. Derive the equation. I just am trying to find the integral i can derive the equation from there.

So the picture is a solid cone around the y axis. With the point 'a' a distance above the cone itself. Height of the cone is b

So this is a 3D problem? You'll have a triple integral to cover the volume if you want to do it all in one go. maybe choose cylindrical coordinates. Otherwise you might attack it as a stack of disks with a single integral, provided that you know the field from a uniformly charged disk...

gneill said:
So this is a 3D problem? You'll have a triple integral to cover the volume if you want to do it all in one go. maybe choose cylindrical coordinates. Otherwise you might attack it as a stack of disks with a single integral, provided that you know the field from a uniformly charged disk...

Correct it is a 3d problem. I was going to try to do the problem as a stack of disks.

So where are you at with regards the field from a single disk? Have you derived an expression for the electric field on the axis of a charged disk?

gneill said:
So where are you at with regards the field from a single disk? Have you derived an expression for the electric field on the axis of a charged disk?

This all i really have. I have really been challenged by this stuff lately

limits from 0 to b

(k)(p)(pi)(y)(dy)
E = --------------------
(b+a-y)^2

It would be better to write out your equations on a single line so that space preservation is not a concern. That or place your text inside code tags " [ code ] ... [ /code ] " (without the spaces inside the square brackets). Best of all learn to use Latex syntax and write your equations using it. For example:

## f(x) = \int_0^\pi \left( 3x^2 + 2x \right) dx ##

As for your problem, you need to describe what it is you're doing in detail. What the variables are, what the integral you're describing is meant to sum. The electric field on the axis of a uniformly charged disk is not as simple as that of a point charge! Take a look at the Hyperphysics website entry.

gneill said:
It would be better to write out your equations on a single line so that space preservation is not a concern. That or place your text inside code tags " [ code ] ... [ /code ] " (without the spaces inside the square brackets). Best of all learn to use Latex syntax and write your equations using it. For example:

## f(x) = \int_0^\pi \left( 3x^2 + 2x \right) dx ##

As for your problem, you need to describe what it is you're doing in detail. What the variables are, what the integral you're describing is meant to sum. The electric field on the axis of a uniformly charged disk is not as simple as that of a point charge! Take a look at the Hyperphysics website entry.
## f(x) = \int_0^b\left( (k)(p)(pi-y)(dy) \right ) ## all over (b+a-y)^2

I am trying to derive the electric field for a charge volume of a solid cone.

k = constant
pi-y = From Area of pix^2
p - rho
dy - because the cone is around the y axis
b - total length of cone
a - distance above cone

Sorry, I'm just not picking out the cone geometry or the field from a disc in that .

Did you take a look at he Hyperphysics link that I placed in my last post? You'll see that the field from a single disk is not simple, depending upon both distance and radius of the disk. You're wanting to sum a stack of these (so over their z variable, but you can change it to y for your setup. What's important is that you get the radius to vary with the height so that the stack forms a cone of the proper dimensions. You haven't mentioned the width of the base of your cone).

1. What is an electric field uniform?

An electric field uniform refers to a region in space where the electric field strength is constant in both direction and magnitude. This means that the electric field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other.

2. How is an electric field uniform created?

An electric field uniform can be created by placing two parallel plates with opposite charges close together. The electric field lines between the plates will be evenly spaced and parallel, creating a uniform electric field in between the plates.

3. What is the significance of an electric field uniform?

An electric field uniform is significant because it allows for easier calculations and predictions of the behavior of electric charges within the uniform field. It also simplifies the understanding of complex electric fields.

4. How is the strength of an electric field uniform measured?

The strength of an electric field uniform is measured in volts per meter (V/m). This is the amount of electric potential energy per unit of charge at a given point in the field.

5. Can an electric field uniform exist in real life?

While it is difficult to create a perfectly uniform electric field in real life, it is possible to approximate a uniform field in certain situations, such as between two parallel plates or in the vicinity of a large, uniformly charged object.