1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Fields/Electric Potential

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1
    I have a few questions about how to find the magnitude of an electric field.

1) I need help with plotting the electric field after I have calculated the magnitude of the electric field on a graph, depicting in which direction the electric field is.
    2) I also need help with just electricity in general. I could really use a good study guide or outline/review on electricity. I have the the Giancoli AP Physics sixth edition book (if needed).

Thanks everyone,

Wilbanksmush

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF

1. The direction of the electric field is the direction of the force experienced by a small positive test charge. The direction should drop out of the magnitude calculation.

2. That is very general indeed.
    quick overview:
    http://topex.ucsd.edu/rs/em.pdf
    ... the description changes a lot with your level.
    Giancoli is primarily for pre-med: you more bio-oriented?

usually the "electricity" topic covers electric circuits and currents, while the "electromagnetism" topic covers fields and charges. Some courses treat magnetism separately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook