Electric Fields, finding a charge

In summary, the question is asking for the common charge carried by three identical Styrofoam balls suspended in an equilateral triangle formation. The setup involves using the equation Fe=mgtan(theta) to calculate the charge for two balls, and then considering the third ball's impact on the distance and charge. The final answer is q=8.108e-7.
glid02
I have a question about electric fields:

Here is the question:
Three identical small Styrofoam balls (m = 1.93 g) are suspended from a fixed point by three nonconducting threads, each with a length of 49.0 cm and with negligible mass. At equilibrium the three balls form an equilateral triangle with sides of 29.2 cm. What is the common charge q carried by each ball?

I set it up by taking two of the balls and making them into two back-to-back right triangles of the same size. I used the equation Fe=mgtan(theta) where theta is sin^-1(.146/.49)=17.335 deg. For this I got 5.909787*e-3.

Then I used the equation q^2=Fe(r^2)/ke, where r is .292 m.
For this i got q=8.108e-7.

I've triple checked everything and I'm fairly confident that this is the right answer for two balls, but I'm not sure how the third ball plays into the answer. It seems as if the third ball would push the first two apart from each other a bit more, maybe a distance of .292m*sin(30), and that would diminish the charge I got by a ratio of (.292*sin(30))/.292. I don't know if that made any sense but that's the only other thing I can come up with. Any help would be great. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Disregard the whole distance of .292m*sin(30). That does not make any sense.

anybody have an idea to set me on the right track?

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds and exerts a force on any charged particle within its range. It is created by electrically charged objects and can be either positive or negative in nature.

How do you calculate the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field can be calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. This can be expressed mathematically as E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

What is the unit of measurement for electric field strength?

The unit of measurement for electric field strength is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. In other systems, it may be expressed as volts per meter (V/m) or dynes per statcoulomb (dyn/sc).

How can you determine the electric field direction at a specific point?

The direction of an electric field at a specific point is determined by the direction in which a positive test charge would be pushed or pulled if placed at that point. The direction of the electric field lines also indicates the direction of the electric field. Electric field lines always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

What is the process for finding the charge of an object using electric fields?

To find the charge of an object using electric fields, you can use Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By measuring the force and distance between two charged objects, you can then calculate the charge of one of the objects.