Electric Flux Problem: Can't Calculate Answer - Please Help!

In summary, the question asks for the electric flux through one face of a cube with a point charge at its center. Using symmetry, we can determine that the total flux through the entire surface is equal to 6 times the flux through one face. Using the formula for electric flux, we can solve for the flux through one face, which turns out to be 1.81X10^5.
crazynut52
I've been thinking about this problem for a while now, and I can't get it to work out. A 9.6X10^-6 C point charge is at the center of a cube with sides of length .5m What is the electric Flux through one of the six faces of the cube? I know the answer is 1.81X10^5 but I can't figure out how to get there. Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint 1: What would the total flux be through the entire cubic surface?

Hint 2: Invoke symmetry!

[tex]\oint {E \cdot dA} = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Let's say B = the area of one side then 6B = A if A is the total surface area so...

[tex]\oint {E \cdot da} = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0} = 6b \times E[/tex]

the flux through B is therefore what? (I Realize this isn't entirely correct because I am assuming E and dA are parallel but the answer remains the same through symmetry)

Last edited by a moderator:
sure is easy when you figure it out... thanks for the help

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a given surface. It is defined as the dot product of the electric field and the area vector of the surface.

2. How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux can be calculated using the formula Φ = E⋅A⋅cosθ, where Φ is the electric flux, E is the electric field, A is the area of the surface, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the surface.

3. What units is electric flux measured in?

Electric flux is measured in units of volt-meters (V⋅m) in the SI system. In terms of base units, it can also be expressed as coulombs per square meter (C/m²).

4. What are some common problems when calculating electric flux?

Some common problems when calculating electric flux include not properly defining the surface or choosing the correct orientation of the surface, not accounting for the direction of the electric field, and not using the correct units in the calculation.

5. What can I do if I am having trouble calculating the answer for an electric flux problem?

If you are having trouble calculating the answer for an electric flux problem, make sure you have properly defined the surface and chosen the correct orientation, double check your calculations and units, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.