1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Flux through Cylindrical Surface

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    An infinite line of charge with charge density λ1 = -5 μC/cm is aligned with the y-axis as shown.

dsB0K.png

I am pretty sure you are supposed to use Gauss' Law so I tried just calculating the total enclosed charge and dividing it by epsilon naught, but it's not working. I think maybe I have to use the LHS in some way, but I really have no clue how.

If someone could give a step-by-step explanation as to how to set up the equations in a general way I would be very happy. I don't need exact numbers I just need to know how to solve this (because I have a lot of other problems that I need to solve as well and I cant seem to set any of them up properly).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Well, that's the correct way to solve the problem. You might just be messing up the unit conversions.

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3
    Oh I see, I messed up my calculations but now I fixed it and it worked this time. Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook