Electric Field and Object Mass: Solving for Unknowns

In summary, to find the magnitude of the electric field between the plates of a parallel-plate capacitor, we can use the equation E=Tsin(theta)/q. Using this equation and given values, we can calculate the electric field to be 23375 N/C. To find the mass of the object attached to the string, we can use the equation T=mg/cos(theta) and given values to calculate the mass to be 35g.
Octoshark

Homework Statement

The electric field between the plates of a parallel-plate capacitor is horizontal, uniform and has a magnitude E. A small object with a charge of -2.60 µC is attached to the string. Assume that the tension in the string is 0.350 N, and the angle it makes with the vertical is 10°

What is the magnitude of the electric field?
What is the mass of the object?

Homework Equations

E=Tsin(theta)/q

The Attempt at a Solution

E = (.350)(.1736)/-2.60x10^-6 = 23375 N/C

So I got this, but how does it help me find the mass of the object? Please forgive me if it is simple but I am refreshing on physics as the semester just started last week ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello octoshark.
I agree with you on the first question.

For the second, what forces are acting vertically?

-PROBLEM SOLVED-

I didn't realize it was as simple as T=mg/cos(theta) from the way my teacher worded it, it didn't make sense

Answer: 35g

Cool Beans

1. What is an electric force field tension?

Electric force field tension refers to the force that exists between two or more charged objects. This force is caused by the attraction or repulsion of the charges and is responsible for the movement of electrons and the flow of electricity.

2. How is electric force field tension measured?

Electric force field tension is measured in units of newtons (N) or volts (V). The exact measurement depends on the specific situation and the type of charge involved. For example, the force between two point charges can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, while the force between a charged object and a larger surface can be measured in volts per meter (V/m).

3. What factors affect electric force field tension?

The strength of electric force field tension is affected by several factors including the distance between the charged objects, the amount of charge on each object, and the medium between the objects. As the distance between the objects increases, the force decreases. Additionally, the force increases with the amount of charge on each object, and can be altered by the type of material between the objects.

4. How is electric force field tension used in everyday life?

Electric force field tension is used in many everyday devices and technologies, including electronics, power generation, and transportation. Without this force, many of the conveniences we rely on, such as cell phones, computers, and lights, would not be possible.

5. What are some potential dangers of electric force field tension?

Electric force field tension can be dangerous if not handled properly. High levels of electric force can cause electric shocks, fires, and explosions. It is important to follow safety precautions and use proper equipment when working with electricity to prevent accidents and injuries.