Electric or Magentic fields dangerous?

In summary: I could be wrong about that.In summary, magnetic fields can be felt by humans, but they are not strong enough to be harmful. Electric fields are feel-able, but magnetic fields are not.
nanoWatt
Ok, I understand that electricity moving through a wire produces a magnetic field (and I believe an electric field).

My question is, can a strong enough electric field be felt by a person? I have felt a static field on a balloon that feels sort of prickly. But I'm not sure about a dynamic electric field produced through induction.

I've also never felt a magnetic field.

Could it be that electric and magnetic fields aren't able to be physically felt by our bodies?

Physics news on Phys.org
nanoWatt said:
Ok, I understand that electricity moving through a wire produces a magnetic field (and I believe an electric field).

My question is, can a strong enough electric field be felt by a person? I have felt a static field on a balloon that feels sort of prickly. But I'm not sure about a dynamic electric field produced through induction.

Could it be that electric and magnetic fields aren't able to be physically felt by our bodies?

You cannot feel a magnetic field much if at all but electric fields are very feel-able and very strange. Not sure about dynamic fields but I imagine they will be similar.

This background reading may be of help:

http://www.pge.com/education_training/about_energy/emf/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I did hear once that a very strong magnetic field could rip out the iron from your blood. I guess if one were really powerful, it could split apart the molecules in your body.

I was wondering also, because in the Sun, it's matter is very affected by magnetic fields. I guess plasma has this property because it's charged.

Well when I think of a laser, it's a combination of electric and magnetic field. So these together can cause burning and such.

I actually am not concerned with the health affects. I just am curious to know what a magnetic field feels like.

berkeman said:
This background reading may be of help:

http://www.pge.com/education_training/about_energy/emf/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
nanoWatt said:
I actually am not concerned with the health affects. I just am curious to know what a magnetic field feels like.

If you could feel magnetic fields, then an MRI scan would not be much fun.

You feel whatever your nerves react to,which is 99.99999999% force.Since you arent a ferromagnetic material you need a STRONG magnetic field to have a noticeable force on you.So that's why you don't feel it.

Also a magnetic field can create currents and charge accumilation,but on a dielectric substance as a human its unoticeable.

nanoWatt said:

Stand infront of the x-ray beam at your local accelerator. You will feel quite a lot of pain as your flesh melts.

For a gentler electromagnetic sensation, you can just sit outside on a sunny day. It's called "tanning".

I have just had MRI scanned and before taking the scan, the physician insisted asking me if I had an operation in the past. I was not so sure why.
Being in an MRI is just normal except for some very loud noises like hammering around.

pixel01 said:
I have just had MRI scanned and before taking the scan, the physician insisted asking me if I had an operation in the past. I was not so sure why.
Being in an MRI is just normal except for some very loud noises like hammering around.

They asked because ferrous metal (steel screws, plates, etc.) would be a problem with the high magnetic fields used in the scan.

Also, even moderate magnetic fields ARE dangerous is you are wearing a pacemaker (which is why there are warning signs just about everywhere is labs with strong fields).

But this is -as far as I understand- simply due to the fact that pacemakers are designed so that they can be controlled by an external magnetic field; i.e. stepping into a strong magnetic field might quite literally trigger the "off button" on the pacemaker. Also, high frequency magnetic pulses might presumably affect the timing.

Very strong magnetic fields, properly applied, can levitate living objects.
There was one experiment done with a frog.
I would imagine that would be an odd sensation. :smile:
AFAIK the frog was not injured by the experiment.

No kidding? Did they make the frog eat something weird first?

nanoWatt said:

Not feeling it does not mean it does not exist.

While we, or our nervous systems may note the magnetic fields, I cannot find a reputable article that shows a human interaction with them. Insects, birds, and perhaps other migratory creatures use magentism and solar position to find their place and vector their migration path. People on the other hand don't move that far, that fast. Even migrating. We use things like...follow tree branch pointing at setting sun...kind of migration maps.

I have no idea, and would enjoy seeing any links to research showing that humans actually use magnetosphere homing to some extent, but I (and this is pure speculation) suspect it will relate to a study on people with a better innate sense of direction.

berkeman said:
If you could feel magnetic fields, then an MRI scan would not be much fun.
I did some work in a high field (6T) MRI and was able to "sense" the field. Other workers reported similar sensations. Disorientation was common, but did not result in ataxia outside the bore. Some of us noticed a sort of "fuzzy-headedness" where we took longer to do precision tasks. The effect typically took about 10 minutes to become noticeable and did not persist upon leaving the bore. Many of the workers also worked inside lower field units and did not notice the sensations there.

TVP45 said:
I did some work in a high field (6T) MRI and was able to "sense" the field. Other workers reported similar sensations. Disorientation was common, but did not result in ataxia outside the bore. Some of us noticed a sort of "fuzzy-headedness" where we took longer to do precision tasks. The effect typically took about 10 minutes to become noticeable and did not persist upon leaving the bore. Many of the workers also worked inside lower field units and did not notice the sensations there.

Considering it took 10T to levitate a frog, there must be a reasonably large force on whatever the hell it acts on even at 6T.

I thought Tesla was an electric field measurement, and Gauss was a magnetic field measurement.

How can Teslas measure a magnetic field?

nanoWatt said:
I thought Tesla was an electric field measurement, and Gauss was a magnetic field measurement.

How can Teslas measure a magnetic field?

Gauss is the dimension of the magnetic flux density in CGS units.
Tesla is the dimension of the magnetic flux density in SI units.

1 Tesla is equivalent to 10000 Gauss.

dst said:
Considering it took 10T to levitate a frog, there must be a reasonably large force on whatever the hell it acts on even at 6T.

BTW, we didn't have a frog but did have to check the old myth about dollar bills being attracted due to the iron in the ink. They aren't. Although an aluminum ruler will flutter almost still in mid-air for a good thirty seconds.

berkeman said:
No kidding? Did they make the frog eat something weird first?
No. My understanding is that water is slightly diamagnetic.

There's also iron in the blood of many animals. I'm wondering if that has an effect from magnetic fields.

>> Very strong magnetic fields, properly applied, can levitate living objects. There was one experiment done with a frog.
> No kidding? Did they make the frog eat something weird first?

Red Bull maybe. :rolleyes::smile:

:rolleyes:I had a platoon sargeant, about 6'8", 280 lbs, who regularly levitated living objects if we didn't move fast enough.

1. Are electric or magnetic fields dangerous?

The short answer is, it depends. Both electric and magnetic fields are a natural part of our environment and can be found in various forms, such as radio waves, light, and even the Earth's magnetic field. These fields are generally considered safe at low levels. However, exposure to high levels of electric or magnetic fields can potentially be harmful to human health.

2. What are the health effects of exposure to electric or magnetic fields?

Some studies have suggested that chronic exposure to high levels of electric or magnetic fields may increase the risk of certain health problems, such as cancer and neurological disorders. However, the evidence is still inconclusive and more research is needed to fully understand the potential health effects of these fields.

3. How can I reduce my exposure to electric or magnetic fields?

It is nearly impossible to completely avoid exposure to electric and magnetic fields, as they are present in our everyday environment. However, you can reduce your exposure by keeping a distance from sources of strong electric or magnetic fields, such as power lines and electrical appliances. You can also limit your use of electronic devices and avoid living or working near sources of high levels of these fields.

4. Are children more at risk from exposure to electric or magnetic fields?

Children are generally more sensitive to external influences due to their developing bodies. However, the current scientific evidence does not suggest that children are at a significantly higher risk from exposure to electric and magnetic fields compared to adults. As a precaution, it is still recommended to limit children's exposure to high levels of these fields.

5. What are the regulations for exposure to electric and magnetic fields?

Different countries have different regulations for exposure to electric and magnetic fields. In the United States, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) sets guidelines for safe exposure levels to radiofrequency fields, while the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) sets limits for occupational exposure to electric and magnetic fields. It is important to follow these regulations and guidelines to minimize potential health risks from exposure to these fields.