Calculating Water Volume for Energy Storage in Electric-Power Plants

• Thread starter bosox3790
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, some electric-power companies use water to store energy by pumping it from a low to a high reservoir using reversible turbine pumps. To store the energy produced in 1.0 hour by a 115 MW electric-power plant, approximately 7000 cubic meters of water will need to be pumped from the lower to the upper reservoir, assuming the upper reservoir is 600 meters above the lower and neglecting any changes in depth within each. This calculation is based on the fact that water has a mass of 1000 kg for every 1.0 m3 and the potential energy formula E=m*g*h.
bosox3790
Some electric-power companies use water to store energy. Water is pumped by reversible turbine pumps from a low to a high reservoir. To store the energy produced in 1.0 hour by a 115 MW (115 106 W) electric-power plant, how many cubic meters of water will have to be pumped from the lower to the upper reservoir? Assume the upper reservoir is 600 m above the lower and we can neglect the small change in depths within each. Water has a mass of 1000 kg for every 1.0 m3.

This problem has completely confused me. How do I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
How much energy is produced in one hour by a 115 MW electric power plant?

Then, consider the energy is being stored as potential gravitational energy. So what is the potential energy of the water? From here, you should be able to solve for the mass of the water

We know the potential energy and calculate the mass of the water that has to be transported."1.0 hour by a 115 MW (115 106 W) "

E=115106 W
H=600m
m=?

E=m*g*h <=> m=E/g*h

115106/9.82*600*1000 ~ 7032953/1000 ~7000 m³

I tried that and it doesn't work.

1. What causes electric power problems?

Electric power problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including extreme weather conditions, equipment malfunctions, overloading of the power grid, and human error.

2. How can I tell if I am experiencing an electric power problem?

Some common signs of an electric power problem include flickering or dimming lights, appliances not working properly, and power outages. You can also check with your local utility company or use a power outage map to see if there are known issues in your area.

3. What should I do if I experience an electric power problem?

If you experience an electric power problem, the first thing to do is to check your circuit breaker or fuse box to see if a tripped breaker or blown fuse is the cause. If that is not the issue, you should contact your local utility company to report the problem and get an estimated time for when it will be resolved.

4. How can I prevent electric power problems?

There are several steps you can take to prevent electric power problems, such as keeping your electrical equipment and wiring well-maintained, avoiding overloading circuits, and being mindful of energy usage. It is also a good idea to have a backup generator or alternative power source in case of emergencies.

5. Are all electric power problems the responsibility of the utility company?

While the utility company is responsible for maintaining the power grid and addressing issues with the distribution of electricity, some electric power problems may be the responsibility of the homeowner or business owner. For example, if the problem is caused by faulty wiring or overloaded circuits within the property, it is the responsibility of the owner to have it fixed.